PDA

View Full Version : Van Husky riddle

Ole Anderson
06-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Ok, I'll bite, where is :

5,306 miles from where the greatest things with 4 wheels are born
5,328 miles from where the greatest things with 2 wheels are born
5,301 miles from where the greatest things with 2 wheels and a band are born
Seems to be more than a coincidence to me...

?

Kevin W Johnson
06-26-2012, 1:07 AM
Somewhere (city or cities) in Germany.....

John Coloccia
06-26-2012, 1:19 AM
I'm going to have to guess:

Limidi, Maranello, Bologna in Italy.

Kevin W Johnson
06-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Hmmm, yeah, hadn't thought about Italy....

Kevin Bourque
06-26-2012, 1:19 PM
Camden New Jersey?

Jerrimy Snook
06-26-2012, 1:36 PM
The answer to the riddle is likely either where Van lives or where his workshop is... Is your question "where are each of these places?"

Ole Anderson
06-26-2012, 1:43 PM
Yes, that too. But according to his profile he lives : "LA & SC neither one is Cali"
Furthering the riddle.

Paul McGaha
06-26-2012, 1:50 PM
I think I know that part, Louisiana and South Carolina.

Belinda Barfield
06-26-2012, 2:12 PM
I think I know that part, Louisiana and South Carolina.

Bingo! He's a part timer in each state. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's Louisana but it could be Lower Alabama.

curtis rosche
06-26-2012, 3:27 PM
The last one is the birth place of a bandsaw, the second is a motor cycle, the first is gotta be detroit.

Belinda Barfield
06-26-2012, 3:54 PM
Perhaps he is a BMW fan . . .

Rod Sheridan
06-26-2012, 3:57 PM
The last one is the birth place of a bandsaw, the second is a motor cycle, the first is gotta be detroit.

How could he be 5,000 miles from Detroit and still be in the continental USA?

Regards, Rod.

Paul McGaha
06-26-2012, 4:13 PM
I think the distances are from Louisiana to where the make Fararrai cars, Italian Bandsaws, and I'm not sure of what kind of motorcycles, maybe BMW?

I dont know any of these Italian or German (Austrian?) cities?

PHM

Kevin W Johnson
06-26-2012, 4:22 PM
How could he be 5,000 miles from Detroit and still be in the continental USA?

Regards, Rod.

My thought as well.

John Coloccia
06-26-2012, 5:15 PM

I think the distances are from Louisiana to where the make Fararrai cars, Italian Bandsaws, and I'm not sure of what kind of motorcycles, maybe BMW?

I dont know any of these Italian or German (Austrian?) cities?

PHM

Limidi is home to the Centauro factory.
Maranello is home to Ferrari
Bologna is home to Ducati

They are all near Bologna.

Those were my thoughts, anyhow. I would have to disagree with Ducati, though. He need to go about 700 miles north to find something worth getting excited about IMHO :)

Now the big question, and this I don't know, is how far Bologna is from Steve Schlumpf.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-26-2012, 5:37 PM
It looks to be about 5000 miles from where he is to Europe.

Van Huskey
06-26-2012, 5:49 PM
John has it right, the distances are from our Louisiana home where we have been "parked" since my wife decided she had to go back to school.

On the bike side I am more of a racing fan than a rider any more, interestingly enough the one bike that really excites me isn't a Ducati, BMW or any of the Japanese makes, it is the Aprilia RS 125. I can't think of a bike I would rather tackle the Tail of the Dragon on, it wouldn't be the fastest up the hill but it is one of the few bikes a mere mortal could use most of its capability. Although I love fast bikes and fast cars it is truely more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Chris Parks
06-26-2012, 9:34 PM
When I saw the first Aprillia RS125 road bike many years ago I contemplated getting my bike license so I could buy one it looked so good.

curtis rosche
06-26-2012, 9:47 PM
My thought as well.

Some how i was misreading the numbers,, i might have reordered them in my head when i looked at it

Larry Edgerton
06-27-2012, 7:10 AM
I figured that out right away Van, but figured you were confused as to where Germany is.
:p
Love Ducatis and if I ever get Bill Gates money I will have a few, but they are just not practical, so I will stick with BMW. The valve train they use is no longer necessary with spring tech advanced to what it is and its a maintainance issue I don't want to tackle. Dealer is 240 miles away. So is the BMW dealer, but they never break.

Ferrari is the most beautiful line of cars I have never wanted to own.

I get frusterated by things that don't work well all of the time. I have several customers with Ferraris and they actually get a great joy out of fiddling with them and spending money on them. Again, if I get Bill Gates money I will have a couple in the garage.

Come to think of it there is not a high dollar car I would want to own right now. All this electronic crap has made me lose interest. Give me a 250 GTO or a Speedster.

On your fast run on a slow bike I have often felt the same way even though I have had a lot of crazy fast cars/bikes. My favorites were a RD 400 set up for road racing, and a Mazda Miata with a twin screw lysolm that just appeared when I left my car at my buddy Corky Bells too long.

I could run the RD at close to its potential, whipping many larger bikes in the twisties. Lived in the Hill Country of Texas at that time, with all those lovely curvy roads.Miata's are the same, great feel, and you could hang one out on the edge and have a riot without risking the farm. I don't think it is the actual speed that you get sideways at, just that you get sideways, with style of course. So lets see, how far away is Hiroshima?

Larry

Van Huskey
06-27-2012, 5:37 PM
Larry the 250 GTO is one of the cars I would kill for, no really. I have had a couple of Ferrari V8 cars and got in and out with my shirt still intact but I was very lucky. The 430 and 458 are supposed to be reliable in a modern standard but I don't have that sort of money any more.

Not really a Beemer fan but a true Bimmer fan, haven't been without an M car in the garage for 19 years now. I haven't done the Porsche thing yet but a 911 will probably be my next and last fast car, would love a GT3RS but it will probably be a Turbo since getting 800 hp out of them is not that hard. If I do it it will be the first time I have had that kind of HP since I sold my last Mustang, it was a 750hp (without the nitrous) 671 blown bored and stroked 351W. That and my E36 M3 are the only cars I have ever owned I would like to have back.

Larry Edgerton
06-27-2012, 7:48 PM
I just love cars and bikes that have that thing. You know what I am talking about, hooligan genetics.

My favorites are Miata's, turboed and supercharged, and my all time favorite my heavily modified 1974 2002.

On the rediculious side I have owned a 674 hp Miata, 1.8 liter no less, and a GT2 race Viper with licence plates. But like you say, these were not fun, just scary. I had no business owning them, they were way beyond my meager talents.

My little brother just totaled out his 740 M a bit ago. Apparently the jump from a 525 to a 740 caught him off guard. Pine trees have no mercy....

Once I get this damn house project done I am going to need a roadtrip bad. Think I need to get down and see Corky in Texas. I'll have to swing by and have a coffee with you. Should be interesting, we both have about the same bad habits. About one more year........

Larry

Van Huskey
06-27-2012, 8:26 PM
Just let me know Larry!

Chris Parks
06-27-2012, 9:42 PM
I just love cars and bikes that have that thing. You know what I am talking about, hooligan genetics. Larry

Once a rev head, always a rev head. There is no known cure and my case is definitely beyond treatment. Unfortunately it is a genetic problem and my son has inherited this life long affliction but at least he confines it to the track in superkarts.

Van Huskey
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Once a rev head, always a rev head. There is no known cure and my case is definitely beyond treatment. Unfortunately it is a genetic problem and my son has inherited this life long affliction but at least he confines it to the track in superkarts.

I would give anything to have a good (asphalt) karting track near me. We had lots of karting tracks where I grew up BUT although it may be hard for people to grasp they were dirt tracks... so I grew up on dirt, still have several sets of tires (certainly dry rotted by now) from my old sprint car.

Chris Parks
06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
We moved away from short track asphalt to long track, think Laguna Seca. This thing uses a RS125 Honda motor and does about 125 mph. He has spun it at over 100 mph when the motor locked up. I believe the dirt track scene in the US is huge but mostly four stroke B&S motors.

Van Huskey
06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
We moved away from short track asphalt to long track, think Laguna Seca. This thing uses a RS125 Honda motor and does about 125 mph. He has spun it at over 100 mph when the motor locked up. I believe the dirt track scene in the US is huge but mostly four stroke B&S motors.

I have actually driven Laguna Seca in a kart. I have a friend who used to live in Silicon Valley and was a big karter I ran one of his karts on a test and tune day it was a CRG Road Rebel shifter w/ a Honda CR125 unbelievably quick. I have never been worn out so quickly on a track before those things are work!

scott vroom
04-06-2013, 10:53 PM
The answers are obvious:

1 - Munich (BMW)
2 - Munich (BMW)
3 - Northern Italy (Laguna)

(Milage is from New Orleans)

John Coloccia
04-07-2013, 12:00 AM
I miss Van Huskey. I hope he's well.

scott vroom
04-07-2013, 12:06 AM
I miss Van Huskey. I hope he's well.

Roger that.

Edit: I just read an entire branch of this thread that I hadn't previously seen...John, I see you nailed it long ago.

Actually I got it right and Van's driving the wrong 2 & 4 wheeled brands :)