PDA

View Full Version : I knew I built that shop for some reason.

Rick Potter
06-25-2012, 8:57 PM
My son and his wife, three kids, two cars, and a Rotweiler move in to our place this weekend. Long story, the usual foreclosure etc. Now note that we already have a daughter and her two teen age girls living here.

Fortunately, we have a large house, since we added a granny flat for our own use as we age gracefully. The daughter lives in there now, and teaches dyslexic kids there full time. This leaves the shop. I built an office, otherwise known as 'the hideout', which I am emptying so they can fit a bed. sofa, and chairs in there. The 12 yr. old grandaughter will sleep on the sofa, parents on the bed. In the shop proper, we are clearing an area for the two boys, 10 and 13 to sleep in. The Rotweiler gets caged, because the students take breaks all day in the back yard, and their parents would implode if he were loose.

So this leaves me with all the tools that were in the tool corral, looking for a space, which right now was my assembly area. I am fortunate to have a good size shop, but it is full of tools and a lot of storage. Tools looking around for a place to park are a Shopsmith, a SuperShop, two Delta bandsaws, my Laguna mortiser, an RBI planer/molder, Shopsmith dust collector, and three scroll saws, along with carts, and smaller tools. Who knew that being a tool junkie would come back to bite me?

Six months, we are told. We will see if they are tough enough to make it that long. Scratch that, it's me I wonder about. I forsee a lot of microwavin' goin' on, plus a spike in paper plate sales. Did I mention I haven't finished the kitchen yet?

Rick Potter

Larry Edgerton
06-26-2012, 6:54 AM
My dauughter moved back in and was here for a year and a half with my grandaughter. I really miss them.......

Larry

Belinda Barfield
06-26-2012, 8:38 AM
Good luck. Hope everyone is able to maintain their sanity.

Ted Calver
06-26-2012, 8:46 AM
I guess your foreseeable future will not include chasing the missus around the house with a gleam in your eye:) Boomerang kids....we had them all come back at one time or another and lived to tell about it, but it got old in a hurry.

Joe Kieve
06-26-2012, 2:10 PM
Would not be my idea of fun! I love my kids and grandkids and love to see them when they come....but I also like to see their taillights after a few days.
All that said, I certainly wouldn't turn them out if they came on hard times and would do just as Rick is doing.

Joe

Rick Potter
06-26-2012, 2:55 PM
Well the Daughter with the 16 and 19 year old are probably here for the duration. The 19 will always be about 12, if you know what I mean. We built the granny flat for us, and the long term plan is that we live in it and this daughter, or else one of the grandkids will move into the house with their family, and take care of us as we grow old. Then again, best laid plans...

The son and family are looking very hard for a house to buy, but everything they see is in escrow, taking backup offers, or has offers pending. Plenty of short sale houses, or repo's, but they take forever, then the banks like to sell several at a time to an investor, for cash, giving him 25% off, according to our escrow friend.

What goes around comes around. In 1973 we bought a brand new house that wasn't finished yet, moved into a rental house that turned out to be sold, and had to move out in three weeks, total. House almost finished, so we stored our stuff, and moved in with our three kids with my parents, who were not as flexible as we are. After one week, they decided to go on an unplanned vacation. A few days after they returned, we took our camper and took an unplanned vacation. Came back and moved into the new house over the weekend, when the house was not yet final inspected, no gas, no water, no electricity. Boy was the developer mad. Guess he shouldn't have given us the key.

We turned the water on at the street, waited a few days to a week for electricity, and a couple weeks for gas. No problem, it was better than 5 of us in an 8 1/2' camper. We stayed there 32 years, and the other daughter and family live there now.

Sorry, long winded. Starting to sound like an autobiography on a really small cable channel.

Rick Potter

Belinda Barfield
06-26-2012, 3:13 PM
On the bright side, you could have your own reality TV show - Full Nest, or start a blog that turns into a book that gets picked up as a movie.

Rick Potter
06-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Nah, Belinda,

I hear John Travolta is pretty booked:cool:.

Rick P