PDA

View Full Version : Maple Leaf Practice

Jeff Myroup
06-25-2012, 7:48 PM
Needed to do some leaf burning practice for an upcoming project. I Still have a bunch of shading to do, but so far I am happy with the results. The wood is soft maple. My goal is to have the leaf look 3D when it is complete.

John M. Smith
06-25-2012, 7:55 PM
I think it looks 3-d already!! Can't wait to see it done. Your work is totally awesome.

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2012, 8:26 PM
Jeff that is going to be a gem. I can't wait to see it finished and yes it almost looks 3D now.

Kathy Marshall
06-25-2012, 9:11 PM
That's amazing Jeff! Looks 3-D to me now.

Josh Bowman
06-25-2012, 9:25 PM
Jeff, I thought you had carved that leaf on there at first glance. Any more real and it'll fall off!

Jeff Myroup
06-25-2012, 9:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Hopefully I can smooth out the shading underneath the leaf. It is a little blotchy right now. Once I add some highlights, it will add to the depth. If it comes out the way I want, I will finish the bowl. I am thinking about finishing the bowl in semi-gloss and the leaf in a matte finish. That should also add to the illusion.

Scott Hackler
06-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Jeff, your piece just made me say a swear word in my head (i.e., Holy ____). That is really really cool.

cal thelen
06-25-2012, 10:22 PM
WOW! I thought at first glance it was a real leaf laying on the platter. I am still not sure it isn't. excellent!

Jeff Myroup
06-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks Scott :D Your comment made me laugh. My goal is to get to the point where people actually think there is a leaf in the bowl and try to pick it up.

Jeff Myroup
06-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Thank Cal. I might have to take this on to Turn-On Chicago :)

Bob Bergstrom
06-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Thank Cal. I might have to take this on to Turn-On Chicago :)
Maybe they will give you your own table like the demonstrators get to display their work. LOL.

Jeff Myroup
06-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Maybe they will give you your own table like the demonstrators get to display their work. LOL.

Only if the lighting is bad. The bowl is not the greatest form. Hopefully people will be distracted by the pyro and not look at the bowl ;)

Doug W Swanson
06-26-2012, 7:58 AM
Wow, it looks great already. I can't wait to see the finished project!

Tim Rinehart
06-26-2012, 8:33 AM
Jeff, that's some killer pyro work. I mean geez, I can see a shadow cast off the stem of the leaf man!!! You definitely have the artist's eye, something that goes a long way towards pulling the kind of work off that you do. Alot of folks are good with pyro work for embellishing and so forth...for others like yourself, it's just another kind of brush.
Well done, look forward to your project involving the maple leaves.

Rex Guinn
06-26-2012, 8:50 AM
I don't think you need any practice!

Jeff Myroup
06-26-2012, 9:11 AM
I don't think you need any practice!

Thanks Rex, but truth be told, I need a lot more practice. I consider myself at the intermediate stage at best, and beginner in others.

Jeff Myroup
06-26-2012, 9:22 AM
Jeff, that's some killer pyro work. I mean geez, I can see a shadow cast off the stem of the leaf man!!! You definitely have the artist's eye, something that goes a long way towards pulling the kind of work off that you do. Alot of folks are good with pyro work for embellishing and so forth...for others like yourself, it's just another kind of brush.
Well done, look forward to your project involving the maple leaves.

Thank you Tim. I am still trying to develop an artists eye. It is something I talk about in the pyro demos I do. I truly believe that anyone can do what I do. I spend a lot of time studying techniques and subject matter. It is not something that comes naturally to me.

The leaf project I have in the works won't be in 3D. I have to make a couple of pet urns for a friend of mine, and she wants the dogs image on them. I will then finish the rest of the area with leaves. This will be a challenge since most pyro is done on a flat surface, and now I have to deal with complex curves. It should be interesting to say the least.

Jim Burr
06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
That has the feel of an old illustration from a time longpast, almost like a sepia print. You sure learn quick Jeff!

Jeff Myroup
06-26-2012, 10:49 AM
That has the feel of an old illustration from a time longpast, almost like a sepia print. You sure learn quick Jeff!

Thanks Jim. One of the things I like best about pyrography are the nice sepia tones that you can get. It also helps that the images I use can be converted to sepia with any photo software. It really aids in the learning process.

Allan Ferguson
06-26-2012, 12:05 PM
That is really nice.

Jeff Belany
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Had to check the spelling of Trompe-l'œil (hope the special characters come out) but your pyro work is a beautiful example of it. I have always been fasinated by the technique. Unfortunately my art skills are challenged by stick men.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Jeff Myroup
06-26-2012, 1:05 PM
Had to check the spelling of Trompe-l'œil (hope the special characters come out) but your pyro work is a beautiful example of it. I have always been fasinated by the technique. Unfortunately my art skills are challenged by stick men.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Thanks Jeff. If I can get it right, I have some ideas for future projects.

Thanks Allan.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2012, 12:10 PM
I really like it so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Jim Underwood
06-28-2012, 7:05 PM
At first I thought you'd carved it on there.. Nice!

Jeff Myroup
06-29-2012, 9:57 PM
Worked a little bit more on the shading today. I still have a little more to do.

Baxter Smith
06-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Impressive work.....and it looks like a lot of it!

Jeff Myroup
06-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks Baxter. So far it has been about 3 hours of burning.

Cindy Navarro
06-30-2012, 1:32 AM
Looks very good and very 3 dimensional.

Jeff Myroup
06-30-2012, 9:43 AM
Thank you Cindy.

Len Mullin
06-30-2012, 6:22 PM
That's an amazing piece of work, I envy your talent.
Len

Jeff Myroup
06-30-2012, 6:49 PM
Thanks Len,

I had to make some adjustments to the burn. It is now complete and off to finishing. The bowl will be semi-gloss and the leaf will have a matt finish to add to the illusion.