PDA

View Full Version : 5/8" Thick wood letters

brian fithian
06-25-2012, 4:35 PM
i have a 40W epilog mini 24... I need to cut out some letters from 5/8" Cherry and Basswood. Can i make a pass cutting these and then lower the focus and cut another pass, etc... If so, how much do I raise table after each pass?

Martin Boekers
06-25-2012, 5:32 PM
You may be better to focus into the piece as the lens forms an "hourglass" shape so you are dealing with kerfs.
You are talking cutting wood over a half inch with a 40 watt laser you are asking for pretty much out of it.

Depending upon the project you may want to check something out like this...

www.inexpensivesigns.com/ (http://www.inexpensivesigns.com/)

Larry Bratton
06-25-2012, 5:40 PM
i have a 40W epilog mini 24... I need to cut out some letters from 5/8" Cherry and Basswood. Can i make a pass cutting these and then lower the focus and cut another pass, etc... If so, how much do I raise table after each pass?

Better get a cnc router. 40 watts won't get you there.

Mike Null
06-25-2012, 5:46 PM
I also think you're going to wind up with a charred mess.

Ross Moshinsky
06-25-2012, 5:51 PM
You need to CNC route those letters or have someone with a serious laser cut them out.

Joe Hillmann
06-26-2012, 9:32 AM
Just to give you a comparison, with my 50 watt laser the thickest solid wood that I have cut cleanly (or clean enough to be able to use) was 5/16 maple, I think that if I played with the settings a bit that I could cut as thick as 3/8 but anything thicker I think would end up a burned mess regardless of the settings used. But then again if you have the laser and the wood you could always do a sample. If it works, great. If it doesn't then you learned how thick of wood you can cut, which is good to know.

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-26-2012, 1:52 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?166327-What-is-the-thickest-wood-you-have-cut

John Noell
06-27-2012, 3:39 PM
You need some nice soft Fiji mahogany. Cuts better than any other wood I have ever tried with my 45 watts. No problem all the way up to 3/8!! Uh oh, 5/8? Did someone mention CNC?