PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush setup basics

daniel lane
06-25-2012, 4:05 PM
Hi, all -

Doing lots of finishing research lately, I've come across the use of an airbrush to spray finishes. I do a lot of small items, mostly boxes and shelves and the like, and this is appealing to me. Years ago, I used to paint R/C models and I have an older Badger double-action airbrush and some jars for it, and I'm thinking this could be nice way to finish projects, especially for getting into tight corners without having build-up. I used the canned air back in the day, and while reading some of the threads realized that I might be able to put my pancake compressor to work with the airbrush, which would be really nice.

First off, anyone see a reason why I couldn't use that compressor (it's a 150psi/6gal PC model, ~6yrs old)? IIRC, I would need ~15-20psi tops, and am not sure how well the compressor would control at that low end. If others have done this, did you need a secondary regulator? A needle valve for fine-tuning? For the connection, I'm assuming I could find an adapter or just thread the airbrush hose to a QD fitting and then just connect like any other attachment.

Second, I know lots of experiments are in order, but does anyone know of a good repository of knowledge for finishes and recipes for airbrushing? I'm thinking dilution ratios and quality of finish (some must be better than others). Projects would be mostly boxes and small furniture items like the 'medicine shelf' I describe in a separate thread.

Thanks,

daniel

Scott Holmes
06-25-2012, 5:14 PM
An air brush is wonderful for small intricate touch-up. Pancake compressor is plenty of air.

Airbruch would not be my chioce for something much bigger than a business card holder or the like size. Wide (6") surfaces are going to be very slow and results will vary. For small items 12"x20" or so I sometimes use a Critter Sprayer (~$50). Sprays a bit larger and stronger than an aerosol can, holds a lot more fluid.

daniel lane
06-25-2012, 6:49 PM
Scott, many thanks! I've never heard of the Critter Sprayer before (link here (http://www.amazon.com/Critter-Spray-Products-22032-Siphon/dp/B00006FRPJ) for others), and it definitely looks worth considering. Still, I actually was thinking of things like business card holders and the like - my last box was a gift for dad for Father's Day and was a pencil box, about 1.75"x3"x10". I'm thinking a small airbrush could work great on these, especially if I have lots of the paint jars on hand (I think I had ~5-10 last time I looked) and can store premixed finishes for quick coats.

I did mention the 11x17 cabinet I've made for the bathroom, I lumped that in here but agree it's about as large as I'd want to go with an airbrush - the only reason to consider it in the first place is because it's got some tight sections and a light touch with an airbrush would avoid runs and drips, I'd think. Still, I'm learning and will likely reconsider after some use! :)

daniel