PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware/yard sales

steven c newman
06-25-2012, 3:04 PM
Ok Bought three handplanes at a yard sale awhile back. two I've since resold. The Third one is just like the first two. Someone had done a quick clean and pretty paint job on all three. Black Paint Central! Any bare metal (except the soles) got a coat of cheap gloss black. No sign og trying to clean off any rust, no prep other than to remove the wooden items first. Spray em down nice and thick, fills in the pitting that way. Tip-off ? Who would paint the sides of a Bedrock, or a Stanley S4, or even a Sargent made DE jack plane? The buyer for the first had planned on a strip and refinish anyway. However, that #5 was just going to the "bay". I heard about the first two being "cover-ups" so.....

Frog: Black paint on everything, so sticky I had to (gently) pry it loose from the base. bearing surfaces on the base? Black paint. Frog seems to be a later Sargent style, but even the lateral was BLACK. The bolt that the lever cap hooks onto, yep, BLACK. Even the lever cap....Black. Stripped the black off the frog, pit-city. Bare metal now has a case of "Black Measles":eek: Bearing surfaces are now scraped clean, and smooth. Even that bolt got cleaned. The lever cap... got left as is. Looked a little rough right through the paint (let sleeping dog lie):D

Iron: Rusty, and installed bevel UP.:confused: With a chip breaker on the bevel. Ok, we can clean the rust.....Ah a Diamond Edge stamp! Someone had painted the bolt between the iron and breaker.......GOLD? :confused: Must have run out of black?:confused: Sharpened the iron, got rid of the yellow colour, cleaned and polished both the iron and breaker, re-installed the RIGHT way, bevel down.

Sides of the base; Black, what else.:mad: Didn't clean it off, could see a lot of "roughness" through the paint layers. Another sleeping dog.:D This is a 13-3/4" long jack plane. No breaks ( this time, but I tend to watch out for such things) the handles are sound. Might still clean all the way up, someday. For now, send it to Ebay.

When you are out doing the rust hunt, beware of things that look like it was never used. New paint will hide a LOT of problems. Hold a painted item at an angle so you can see below the shine. On planes, see if you can look under the lever cap, and if you can look under the irons. Run a finger along all sides, slowly. You'll feel things better that way. Did I get "burned'? Not this time, $60 for three like these, kind of hard to be burned. BUT, next time, I will look beyond the names...:eek:

Larry McGarrah
06-25-2012, 5:08 PM
Yep, I has gotten to the point I carry a screw driver to the flea market with me to break things down before throwning away my hard earned money. Even my rusty old Stanley 5 1/2 I popped the frog off before dropping my $5.

Don Jarvie
06-25-2012, 9:07 PM
These are good things to keep in mind. I also set a limit for items. If a plane, chisel, etc is under 10 bucks and I don't have a similar one I'll bite. I've spent more on less like Dunkin Donuts today (12 bucks) for everyone. Over 20 I need to see all the parts and see if I can make a user out of it.

Case in point, saw a bailey No 7 today for 45 bucks. A bit rusty but if I didn't have a jointer plane I would have bought it and cleaned it up.

steven c newman
06-25-2012, 11:52 PM
One other caution: Don't go through types of sales sleepy-headed. Be WIDE AWAKE. I went to that sale, AFTER working a 12 hour shift at work. LONG Day......not a good sign, walking and yawning at the same time....

Jim Koepke
06-26-2012, 2:54 AM
If you buy enough of them you are sure to get some clinkers.

I bought more than a couple tools from sellers on the bay that were cheap enough. Some actually had undisclosed damage.

You have to be careful for those who do such.

One of my $4 dollar planes turned out to have some nasty pitting by the mouth and the tote screw hole recently went south. This one actually ended up with the tote screw JB Welded in place.

If it is ever sold it will be done with full disclosure.

They just get used as is and all seems well.

jtk

steven c newman
06-26-2012, 10:29 AM
235358Note the frog on this one, a Sargent DE5. All that black paint covers up all the rusty pits. More?235359Those pins on the 606 were painted gold, as were all the other frog bolts. Lever caps were also painted black. maybe the person was listening to a Rolling Stones song from the 60s??? "Paint it black"? Just little things that should have told to beware. I got the set of three planes for $60, after talking about $20 off the price. I wasn't quite awake that morning, I guess.....

David Weaver
06-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Those are pretty minor things, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody is probably going to tell you those things at a yard sale where they're selling planes cheaply, because they already don't seem to know that with a little refurb they could go fence that bedrock on ebay for more than $80 to begin with and still have the remaining planes.

They're not going to hurt you that much, either, cracks in the casting, stripped out holes and large brazes or hang holes are what really matter for value because you can't do much about them (you can fix stripped holes, but most people don't want to go to the trouble).

I have seen much worse being passed off as defect-free planes (planes that have had 4 inches of length cut off, or that have the wrong parts in general, etc).

Paint or none, if you have the time to strip the planes and re-japan or repaint them, you got your money's worth with the 606 even if the tote is junked and you have to repaint it.

george wilson
06-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Probably the average home owner has little or no idea about what they are selling.

Tom Vanzant
06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
I saw a plane on the bay a couple of years ago that looked nice but somewhat out of proportion. A bit of comparison and an EM to the seller confirmed that the "custom" #5 1/2 heavy plane was actually a cut-down #7. FWIW, it sold for over $350 to a buyer that had a history of buying odd-ball planes. Whatever floats your boat...

steven c newman
06-26-2012, 1:22 PM
Started this thread as a way to help out others trying the yard sale route. I will go back and refurb the Sargent built DE5. I have two others on the way, as well. I have a nice long weekend last week, be another two weeks before the next one. Time to warm up the Back Porch Bench System. i can get a lot done out there, weather permitting , no rain.

maybe a list of tips and such? Things to watch out for. Like a garage full of tools, but claiming not to know what those tools are???

Rodney Walker
06-26-2012, 4:21 PM
You still did OK on your purchases, just not quite as well as if they had been in better condition. It's always "Buyer Beware" when buying anything used-including old tools. I just don't pay more than I'm willing to part with if there is some sort of unfortunate surprise. The rust and bad paint job makes for a little more work cleaning them up but it only affects the collector value-not the usefulness of the planes.
Rodney