PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Helix inbound, but I have some questions about exhaust! Any advice?

Kevin Schlossberg
06-25-2012, 1:04 AM
I've got a Epilog Helix inbound, scheduled to be delivered July 2. As part of the lease they included this exhaust blower:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC3XX.html

This thing is loud as hell. I was going to have the laser in my office, but now I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure I could cobble together an enclosure for the blower to quiet it down a great deal, but what's more worrisome for me is that this needs to be vented outside. The crux of the problem is that my office is cinderblock construction, with a wood / tarpaper roof. I'm really not sure who I need to contact to get this blower venting outside properly, should I call a roof contractor, or an HVAC contractor, or someone else entirely? Is it just a matter of running some 4" exhaust venting outside? If I vent this through the roof, is there a chance that the roof catches fire from the hot exhaust or particles sucked out of the machine? Ok, maybe I'm being paranoid with the last part.

Anyhow, it seems like it'd be a lot easier to go through the roof than to go through cinderblock, but putting a pipe through the side wall with a dryer vent seems a less complicated task than rigging up something through the roof. The whitepapers (http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads/whitepapers/whitepaper_exhaust.pdf) regarding exhaust on Epilog's site recommend mounting the blower in another room, but that requires cutting through cinderblock and the blower can't be more than 20' away from the laser. Argh!

Any advice would be welcome.

Joe Pelonio
06-25-2012, 7:51 AM
If you park it close to a window, you can open the window and use a piece of 1/4" Acrylic or Lexan duct taped into the window opening, with a 4" hole cut in it for the dryer vent to attach to. No need to cut the wall or roof. For the noise, best to place it outside with an open but roofed partial enclosure to protect from rain. Having it outside and pulling is better for fume extraction anyway. Then the hose would go through the hole in the acrylic and be sealed with silicone.

Kevin Schlossberg
06-25-2012, 8:48 AM
The office windows are Plate glass, they don't open. Otherwise that'd be my first choice.

Richard Rumancik
06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Do you have a suspended ceiling in the office? If so maybe you could run some tubing above the ceiling tiles to a location that you can exhaust. I don't think the 20 foot limitation should be taken to strictly. As long as you have proper static pressure and flow at the laser the length should not be such an issue. But perhaps this particular blower is not suitable for your situation.

Cutting a hole in the cinder block should not be difficult with a proper concrete hole saw. If you are leasing the office you will have to get permission and repair the hole if you ever take out the vent. I'd rather cut into the wall than the roof, all else being equal, as there is less risk of water penetration.

If there is a soffit on the building maybe you could port it to a hole in the soffit. Not ideal but possible.

You shouldn't have hot or burning particles coming off your materials.

Did you check with your insurance company to see if all is okay with installing this machine in the office?

Gary Hair
06-25-2012, 11:07 AM
I had the same dilemma when I had a rented space. My solution was to go through the cinderblock wall, it wasn't that difficult and I did it myself. As was already said, you don't want to push the exhaust outside, you want to draw it out. I guarantee you there will be leaks and you want them on the vacuum side not the pressure side. The other option is to spend a few thousand dollars on something like a Bofa fume extractor, or you can build one yourself - search for Dan's home made unit here.

Gary

Kevin Schlossberg
06-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Do you have a suspended ceiling in the office? If so maybe you could run some tubing above the ceiling tiles to a location that you can exhaust. I don't think the 20 foot limitation should be taken to strictly. As long as you have proper static pressure and flow at the laser the length should not be such an issue. But perhaps this particular blower is not suitable for your situation. Suspended ceiling with cinderblock walls going above them. And still have the cinderblock leading to the outside regardless.

Cutting a hole in the cinder block should not be difficult with a proper concrete hole saw. If you are leasing the office you will have to get permission and repair the hole if you ever take out the vent. I'd rather cut into the wall than the roof, all else being equal, as there is less risk of water penetration.

If there is a soffit on the building maybe you could port it to a hole in the soffit. Not ideal but possible.

You shouldn't have hot or burning particles coming off your materials. No soffit unfortunately, I had that wishful thought as well. Thanks for the info on the burning materials

Did you check with your insurance company to see if all is okay with installing this machine in the office?Nope, good point!

I had the same dilemma when I had a rented space. My solution was to go through the cinderblock wall, it wasn't that difficult and I did it myself. As was already said, you don't want to push the exhaust outside, you want to draw it out. I guarantee you there will be leaks and you want them on the vacuum side not the pressure side. The other option is to spend a few thousand dollars on something like a Bofa fume extractor, or you can build one yourself - search for Dan's home made unit here.
Thanks for the info!

Randy Digby
06-25-2012, 6:59 PM
Kevin, just a process check her: Depending on what you engrave/cut, is the venting of foul smelling fumes going to be a problem at your location? If so, you may want to add a scrubber to the setup. I didn't consider the smell on my original installation until about two hours into our first full day of production when my wife came in from the outside and gave me the "foul" news. Mine is in a residence and smell is a concern for me where it might not be for you. Good luck with the install.

Richard Rumancik
06-25-2012, 8:09 PM
Kevin, when you do talk to the insurance company you need to tell them about your plans the right way, or they will visualize a welding or plasma cutting operation. Maybe you can get a few pictures of lasers situated in office-type environments. Lasers can catch fire, but if procedures are followed you should be fine. Make sure you have appropriate fire extinugishers (search on this.) You want to make sure you are insured but you don't want to scare them off either by exaggerating the potential hazards.

Larry Bratton
06-25-2012, 9:36 PM
Kevin
When I got my EXT I vented it outside, using the blower they sent me. I went to Tractor Supply and bought me a large plastic doghouse. Fastened the blower to a wood pallet and enclosed it with the doghouse. I subsequently moved the whole thing here and did in fact have to vent through a block wall. Five years later it's still working (knock on wood)

Roger Leiva
06-25-2012, 9:44 PM
Kevin, for four years, I use a Penn State fan DC-3XL, 1 - '/ 2 HP., First in my Epilog Mini 18, then in my current machine Helix 24 of 60 watt. My recommendation is: do not have to worry about the hot air outlet (even before the exhaust duct is heated), plus produce no visible smoke output. I have in my small office equipment, including extractor (although it makes some noise, it is acceptable). Ulizo an aluminum hose 4 inches in diameter for out put. These are sold in "Home Depot" or "I do it". You can be outside (which is extremely necessary) for any hole is made or there (like a window). At its outer end to put a "cap" that protects the water. I think having the pump inside the office and not outside, it is less annoying to the neighbors.
My desire for success in your business and project laser.

David Fairfield
06-25-2012, 11:42 PM
If possible 1) avoid making a hole in the roof 2) have the blower unit outside under a weather cover.

Holes in the roof invite water leaks and may require repair and maintenance. Putting the blower outdoors minimizes noise and fume leaks. Cutting through cinder block is pretty easy with the right tool and bit. Use a flexible metal duct and you don't need to worry about a fire hazard.

Dave