PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts on Barrett Jackson Auction

Rick Potter
06-24-2012, 9:04 PM
Went to the Barrett Jackson car auction Saturday, with my wife and my brother. Forgot my camera, so none of this happened.

While they were parking a 2007 Bentley Continental GT Coupe that sold for $97K, I noticed that as it drove by slowly, the 'B' in the center of each wheel was wiggling, but remained upright. When the car stopped,all four 'B's were perfectly upright. Obviously weighted and on bearings. I touched one to see if it moved, but the mechanism was all in a clear plastic housing.

While looking at the Bentley, I met a man named Hennessey, a very nice man who considered buying it, but didn't. Turns out he is THE Mr. Hennessey from Hennessey motor sports. This is a first class shop that modifies your Ford GT, or Corvette if it isn't quick enough. His son holds, I believe, the record in the standing mile at over 200MPH. I was floating in rarified air for a while.

Chrysler is bringing out an all new Viper. It's beautiful, and they auctioned off the first one to be sold. Talk about a collector item ...first new style Viper, VIN# 1. It doesn't get any more collectible than that. All proceeds to cancer research. I thought it went cheap.......$300,000. My reasoning for thinking this was because my brother had just told me the first 1984 Corvette was auctioned for $1,000,000....in 1984.

A 1999 Ferrari F-355 Convertible (rare), which sold new for over $100K, and had low miles on it sold for $41K right after the auctioneer mentioned it had $67,000 in receipts for DEALER MAINTENANCE (not repairs). Apparantly, on that model the engine has to come out for some normal maintenance. I think that might have influenced some of the buyers. Reminds me of a guy I worked with in 1979-80. He had a Porsche with six carburetors on it, and it got a $1500 tune up every six months.

Sitting between a couple high dollar cars, waiting to be auctioned was a '66 Rambler station wagon, rat rodded, and artfully painted to look very rusty... oh, yeah, it had air bags too, and sat on the ground. Didn't see what it went for.

I fell in love with a beautiful 1964 Ford Falcon convertible, all upgraded and restored. Someone loved it more, as it went for $40K.

Other notable sales:

1961 Chrysler 300G convertible..........$105K
1958 Buick Limited convertible...........$110K
1970 Mustang Boss 302................... $100K
1948 Ford Custom Woody Wagon .... $100K
1970 Chevelle LS6 coupe ................ $100K
1969 Mustang Boss 429 fastback...... $230K
1968 Shelby Mustang GT500 fastback $125K
1954 Buick Skylark convertible.......... $110K
2005 Mercedes McLaren SLR............ $185K
1970 Chevelle SS LS6 convertible..... $160K....not sold..didn't meet reserve.
1970 Oldsmobile 442 convertible........ $140K
1971 Chevelle SS LS5 convertible...... $100K

By the way, it's a good thing I didn't have a bidder number. My wife went nuts over the Automobilia, like gas pumps, signs, neon signs, 20' highway billboards. She wanted them all.

Well, as requested, there is my man on the street report. Pics of these cars are all on line, just google Barrett Jackson Orange County auction.

Rick Potter

EDIT: Forgot. I actually met a guy who knew a guy who met Carrol Shelby.

Bruce Volden
06-24-2012, 9:17 PM
Oh what fun!! I had an uncle who bought a '67 Buick GS, 400, gold w/ red pin striping, black interior, dual exhaust....what a great car!! I have been a Buick fan ever since and was glad to see you posted a couple. My G-pa had a blue over white "55 Buick Roadmaster, what a boat, what a ride for a 6 y/o tho. I remember these things well.

Bruce

Van Huskey
06-24-2012, 9:53 PM
Regarding the F355, it had cam belts and they have to be replaced by time or mileage and it ain't the typical 100,000 miles for an average car. The 360 Modena had a removable panel behind the seats so the engine did not have to be removed, typical of Ferrari dealerships the cost of belt replacement didn't really go down. Starting with the F430 they use timing chains now but the overall cost of maintaining a 8 cylinder car hasn't changed much if at all. I have owned a couple of V8 Ferraris and the general rule is $2 a mile for cost of ownership IF you play your cards right. I expect the 430 and 458 are more like $3 a mile. I have driven a 430 4 times and a 458 once and I can say they probably are the best sports cars on the planet, one reason they have the longest wait lists of any car on the planet besides the highly limited production super cars. Oh I forgot to mention the 355's had headers that tended to burn through in "normal" driving, less so if you ran them hard when you drove them. Most have been replaced with headers from after market suppliers, Ferrari took the race car stance on warranty in that exhaust headers are expendible wear items like rotors and pads, true enough on race cars. Newer Ferraris (non-collectable) sell poorly at auction (though this one was about right) since people that know and or have owned them want to know every minute detail of their history, the pool is so small you can often ask on the Ferrari boards and get TONS of info on just about any car up for sale, since probably more than one person has researched it.

Belinda Barfield
06-25-2012, 6:50 AM
Thanks for the report Rick. I like to watch on TV and dream. There for a while you was steppin' in some high cotton.