PDA

View Full Version : My bluff was called, help!!!!

Silas Smith
04-05-2005, 5:31 PM
Everyone at work knows how much I like woodworking. Not wanting to disapoint, I may have exaturated my abilities. ANyway, someone want's me to build a corner bookshelp for his wife. While I am fairly confident that I can pull this off, I have no idea about design.

I got a picture of his current furniture and luckily it's very plain. Think roomstore entertainment center of oak ply and rounded edged faceframe. He thinks he want's something in the shaker style, but with what he has, I doubt it will look right in the room.

Anyway, what I need help with is if anyone has done a project like this or knows of anything that would help me come up with what I need. The basic shape is about 6 feet tall and triangular in shape so it can fit in the corner. He would also like it to be constructed so that he can place lights under each shelf. I think I will charge him 2X materials because I know I am not fast enough to charge him by the hour. I also like the guy and would consider this half present/half work.

Keith Christopher
04-05-2005, 5:34 PM
Check this out. It is a VERY shaker corner cabinet.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?113

Keith

Silas Smith
04-05-2005, 6:28 PM
Keith, thanks for taking your time to look that up for me. If I had my way, that is what I would build, however I think he is looking for an open bookshelp without doors. There is a version of this cabinet that someone built that has given me some ideas though.

Cecil Arnold
04-05-2005, 6:32 PM
Si,

I've built a number of bookshelves, and I wonder how they are going to place their books on a triangular shelf? The thing that comes to mind is something simuliar to the NYW design with a cabinet under and shelves meeting at 90 degrees on the uper part of the unit. As to the design, if I understand what you are saying about their current furniture, you may want to look at something more contemperary/Danish modern. By the way, in what part of Houston do you live?

Silas Smith
04-05-2005, 7:02 PM
Cecil, I think they want more of a display curio. She want's to show off pictures of the grandkids. Thanks for the lead on the A/C btw, unfortunately, they were long gone when I called them. I did get some great ideas though. I am a little south of Houston in Pearland.

chris toomey
04-05-2005, 7:07 PM
Check this out. It is a VERY shaker corner cabinet.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?113

Keith
more colonial than shaker i think

Cecil Arnold
04-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Si,

You're a neighbor I'm in Clear Lake.

Jim Fancher
04-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Buy one of these unfinished, finish it to their specs, call it a day. :D

http://www.shelfexpressions.com/nss-folder/pictures/cornershelvesfeb19.jpg

Charlie Plesums
04-06-2005, 8:18 AM
... He would also like it to be constructed so that he can place lights under each shelf.

I think I will charge him 2X materials because I know I am not fast enough to charge him by the hour. ...

If it needs a light under each shelf, consider a light at the top and glass shelves.

If you don't want to figure "per hour" and want to work on a multiple of materials, 5x would be more appropriate than 2x if you are buying materials at a reasonable price and are not dealing with expensive exotics.