PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite bowl

Deane Allinson
06-24-2012, 1:39 PM
I finally got a little larger bowl out of the mesquite. 9" wide x 4" tall. It weighted a ton green, so I started it out on a larger Rockwell 1HP lathe at work. I really don't like turning on it for some reason (except outboard) I rounded up the blank and went to my little 1/4HP 10" Delta Millwaukee. It ran smooth as silk.
Deane

Tim Rinehart
06-24-2012, 2:32 PM
Nicely done Deane. Almost has look of a calabash bowl.

David DeCristoforo
06-24-2012, 4:37 PM
I'm thinking that the straight sides on the upper half would disqualify it as a "true" calabash. Nevertheless, it's a great looking bowl.

Jeremy Leasure
06-24-2012, 4:53 PM
I really like the looks of mesquite, something we don't have around here that I'm aware of. I like the bowl as well, that shape is something I kept getting drawn back to over and over without really noticing it on my earlier bowls.

Baxter Smith
06-24-2012, 10:21 PM
A very holdable looking bowl Deane! Nice work!

Kathy Marshall
06-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Nice bowl Deane! I like the shape.

Bernie Weishapl
06-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Really nice bowl Deane. Nice shape.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2012, 5:08 PM
Pretty bowl and I like the functional form!

Thomas Canfield
06-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Good looking bowl. Your statement about roughing out the blank on a bigger lathe and then going to your little lathe really drives home the point of need for mass and power for the rough work to start or else stay with balanced material for lighter lathes. When are you going to step up?

Deane Allinson
06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
When are you going to step up?

Not in the near furture. I still have a son in college in L.A. and another in Austin. I still feel blessed that I can enjoy turning on the cheap. $100 vintage lathe, $50 Harbor Freight tools, 2 Benjamin's Best bowl gouges $40, and a 3" face plare $20. I am starting to get a little more free wood lately too since I started turning some green wood. There aren't may hobby's out there that you can get somewhat serious for so little money.
Deane

Larry Lilly
06-26-2012, 1:23 PM
That mesquite looks like it was well watered. iI dont see major cracking in it, great piece of wood.
I have some chunks of miss keet that came from a 6 foot long by 24 inch in diamter log but it was laying in a stream for some 2 years, so it was well cracked.

Yeah, turning is limited only by wood source, and small pieces can always be glued up into larger if all esle fails.

Mark Hix
06-26-2012, 9:07 PM
Mesquite is one of my favorites to turn and to look at. I really like the form. One of my quirks is that for a bowl to appeal to me, it should look like it wants to be picked up. This is one of those. Nice job.

Billy Tallant
06-28-2012, 3:20 AM
Nice looking bowl. Nice shape to it. Definately like the mesquite wood...