PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathe Tools - How to Sharpen on Wolverine?

Adrian Anguiano
06-24-2012, 1:04 PM
So I bought some mini lathe tools. The ones they sell to make pens with. I currently have been using the wolverine system. BUT on the mini tools, the steel is too short to use on the platform. It doesnt even make it to the stone. What should I do?

The only thing i have found is this http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=142620&Category_Code=sharp-wss

but id rather not pay another 30 bucks just to sharpen a 30buck set of mini tools

Mark Levitski
06-24-2012, 1:30 PM
Adrian, you could cut your platform smaller, but then it would always be a mini-platform.

Jim Burr
06-24-2012, 5:44 PM
I have the same problem with my Taylor pen set Adrian. I just do them by hand now. I can get them on my Tormek, but then all my settings for my full size tools are jacked up. I don't use the gouge so much as I do the skew and parting tools.

Bob Hamilton
06-24-2012, 8:46 PM
I have a skew that I like that has gotten too short to bridge the platform as well. I took a piece of 3/4" x 1 1/2" oak and embedded a couple of rare earth magnets in the bottom. I beveled the edge that goes toward the grindstone as well. I attach it to the Wolverine table flush with the front edge and then set the tilt using the tool's bevel. There is enough lift to let the tool handle clear the Wolverine table.

Take care
Bob

Peter Fabricius
06-24-2012, 9:26 PM
Same as Bob... I also made a mini platform that is really handy for small stuff.
Peter F.

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2012, 12:01 AM
I also built a mini platform for my short tools.

Adrian Anguiano
06-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Sounds like I will have to try the same. Will let you know how it works.

Jim Underwood
06-25-2012, 7:59 AM
I've wondered the same thing about using the vari-grind jig. There is plenty of steel left on my gouges, but not enough to have 2" of projection....

Mike Cruz
06-25-2012, 8:26 AM
Adrian, the quickest and simplest solution is to take a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood that is small enough to accomodate your tools, but big enough to give you a usable surface and use double sticky tape to put it on your rest. Works like a charm for me.

Prashun Patel
06-25-2012, 9:00 AM
Adrian-
For the mini tools, I would try yr hand at free-hand sharpening. It's surprisingly easy to learn on those smaller tools - even gouges.

Tim Rinehart
06-25-2012, 10:05 AM
I've got two small gouges that came with my Delta midi. The larger of the two I can see well enough (with glasses) to free-hand it...but I've found that a diamond hone is much more controllable for dressing it. The small gouge I can barely see the tip even with glasses, so hand grinding is futile at best.
The short answer...if the shape of the grind seems acceptable, or you get it that way, try to dress with diamond hone and slip stone to keep a good edge. Putting these small gouges to a grinder will shorten their life in a hurry.
For that matter, it's really a good practice to work on just dressing even your larger tools with a diamond hone. I rarely take my gouges to the grinder anymore and end up with a very sharp (flat ground, not hollow) edge to cut with.

Jim Silva
06-25-2012, 5:49 PM
I use mini scrapers and cutting tips often and had the same issue so I found a chunk of aluminum (though a hardwood would also work), bored a hole through it and tapped a thumbscrew into it. I put the tools or bits in, tighten the thumbscrew and sharpen on the existing wolverine platform. Super easy to make.
I don't use mini gouges but there's no reason why a 1/2" piece of cold rolled steel rod , say about 2 1/2" long with the same hole bored lengthwise through it and a set screw couldn't be set into your varigrind jig. Just let the steel rod hang out of the varigrind the same distance as your regular gouge less the amount you need the tool to stick out and you should be good to go and well supported.
235284235285235286(Edit - the little piece of plywood on the bottom was added for the handled mini tools to clear the tool rest. They were originally made for tool bits rather than handled tools and were adapted with a little double sided tape)

Jim

Adrian Anguiano
06-25-2012, 8:57 PM
Y'all are so creative. I knew the sawmill creekers would have a solution

Denny Rice
06-25-2012, 9:19 PM
+1 Adrian! I couldn't agree more. These "Creeker's" are some of the smartest guys around!