PDA

View Full Version : Sapele and Curly Maple Desk

Craig D Peltier
06-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Made this desk from Sapele QS and Eastern soft curly maple. The handles are of Wenge. I think if I were to build it for myself I might make the side cross bars and all the other floating blocks out of Walnut or a Wenge.

Sam Murdoch
06-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Very nice Craig. Interesting without being ostentatious. I like the blend of the wood species. And NOT TO BE CRITICAL, because I really like it as it is, but thinking about the next one :rolleyes: - Might be really cool to cut the cabinet sides and the drawer fronts (top and outside edges) around the horizontal carriers to recreate the effect of the top notched around the legs. You would still "read" the ends of the carriers coming through and see them on the sides but they would be flush with the respective surfaces. Would require some false sides but ...:cool:

John A. Callaway
06-24-2012, 3:47 PM
I thought the same thing initially, that the horizontal slats around the cabinet boxes would look neat set into a dado on each vertical leg.... I very much so love the color contrast of the two woods, and the design idea is very neat, and an original idea on a very traditional design. I think you did good with it. I like it.

Mark Valsi
06-24-2012, 4:16 PM
Very nice, I like that design !!

Craig D Peltier
06-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Very nice Craig. Interesting without being ostentatious. I like the blend of the wood species. And NOT TO BE CRITICAL, because I really like it as it is, but thinking about the next one :rolleyes: - Might be really cool to cut the cabinet sides and the drawer fronts (top and outside edges) around the horizontal carriers to recreate the effect of the top notched around the legs. You would still "read" the ends of the carriers coming through and see them on the sides but they would be flush with the respective surfaces. Would require some false sides but ...:cool:

Thanks for thought, the top dictated a lot of where pieces landed because of the notch being on the outside corners and not set in from the top in either direction left to right or front to back.

Craig D Peltier
06-25-2012, 5:34 PM
Two better pics.