PDA

View Full Version : OK to Mix Wood Glues?

Jason Hanko
06-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Hey everyone,

So Ive got maybe 3-4 tablespoons of original Titebond left at the bottom of my glue bot; just enough that its starting to not be able to pressurize the chamber and come out the nozzle. I'm out of more original Titebond, but I do have two of the small-sized bottles of Titebond II (the dark stuff) that I got as a freebie from Woodcraft one day, and a partial bottle of Titebond III.

Does anyone see any reason I couldn't mix all these into the glue bot for general use? Im aware that Id likely loose some of the waterproof properties of the III and the quick-drying of the II, but that doesnt bother me.

Thanks!

Todd Burch
06-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Sure you can.

Alan Schaffter
06-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Chemically, it is hard to say. It depends on the glue. As long as they are both PVA (polyvinyl acetate) you probably won't have much trouble, however there is always a chance the bond could be weaker than either glue individually, and if you mix TB II with TB III it may lose its resistance to water. You might search the Franklin website for an authoritative answer. I mixed a batch of really thin Titebond veneer glue with regular Titebond II. Other than being a lot more watery during the glue-up, the set time and holding power seemed to be the same as regular TB II.

Howard Acheson
06-24-2012, 3:02 PM
Your adhesive is such an important component and so cheap I don't know why you would consider being frugal with it. Buy more of the correct adhesive.

At the very least, contact Titebond and get their advise.

Myk Rian
06-24-2012, 5:10 PM
Messing around with 3 tbsp left isn't worth it.
Buy a new bottle.