PDA

View Full Version : Handplanes..

steven c newman
06-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I have been a might busy lately. Bought a Stanley #120, and a new cap for it. Went Yard sailing, and got a pair of block planes. A Sargent made for Diamond Edge 120 size, and this next little guy:235153235154235155235156It DOES have a fancy knob, though. Just a "5" on the cap's underside is all the markings it has. Unless you count those grooves in the iron:eek:235157235158Length of this plane is about 6-1/2" long. Iron is just under 1-1/2" wide. Between it, and the sargent block plane, about $6 spent. Or, about what I have wrapped up in the stanley 120.

Still on their way to my mailbox: A DE6 ( Diamond Edge #6) with a hard rubber tote, and, a Keen Kutter KK7. Both will need a bit of re-hab, should be fun. That Bailey #6 that came last week wasn't needing any re-had. Well, maybe a sharpening of the iron. The three Amigos Block Planes are supposed to go for a paint job later. All three will need a sharpening as well. Now, about the cambered iron in that sargent Block Plane.....:confused:

Jim Koepke
06-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Now, about the cambered iron in that sargent Block Plane.....

I wonder how many cambered irons are from being done that way on purpose as compared to being cambered by accident.

A slight camber for chamfering an edge might create an interesting effect.

jtk

steven c newman
06-24-2012, 2:37 PM
Seemed to work alright on some old pine235167 I haven't even sharpened the iron, yet. I think it MIGHT be a Saregent 107 clone? As for "Shorty", 235168A few swipes on some flat sandpaper seemed to help things out.

David Turner
06-24-2012, 6:35 PM
Steven:

Be very careful with the DE rear tote as I don't think it is rubber. I think it is a composite of some type that gets brittle with age. I purchased a #5 Diamond Edge on Ebay and it arrived with a broken rear tote. Luckly I purchased insurance and got my money back.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

steven c newman
06-24-2012, 6:51 PM
The top seems a bit chewed up on that gutta percha tote. IF it is too far gone, a Black Walnut one will take it's place. Looks like the tote will be the least of the re-hab, it's at least as rusty as that Union#4G I re-habbed awhile back. This DE6 also has that grooved bottom. FUN! Also on the way.....KK7 with a tote that is already broke. IF I can't glue it back together, it will be a pattern for a new one. Front knobs on both will get replaced. Looks like I'll have to make a new front knob for that Stanley #120 as well. May as well just chuck up ( THAT didn't quite sound right) a nice long chunk of Walnut and fire up the ol' lathe....