PDA

View Full Version : using sandcarving film as a mask

Cindy Rhoades
06-24-2012, 9:49 AM
Has anyone ever used a sandcarving exposure film as a laser mask in a pinch. I have some SR3000 sandblasting film that is used with an exposure unit but I was wondering if I could use it as a mask to engrave then color fill if I am desperate for a mask large enough without having to buy 300 yards of regular mask that would probably sit around here and turn to dust because I don't do that much color fill.

Larry Bratton
06-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Cindy,
Most folks here use paper application tape that is used for applying vinyl graphics. You can get it anywhere that sells vinyl media, it's inexpensive and comes in a variety of widths.

Has anyone ever used a sandcarving exposure film as a laser mask in a pinch. I have some SR3000 sandblasting film that is used with an exposure unit but I was wondering if I could use it as a mask to engrave then color fill if I am desperate for a mask large enough without having to buy 300 yards of regular mask that would probably sit around here and turn to dust because I don't do that much color fill.

Mike Null
06-24-2012, 11:09 AM
You can also buy a laser mask from Johnson Plastics.

Cindy Rhoades
06-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I understand both replies but I need a mask like yesterday. I have the film on hand and just thought I might be able to improvise without having to delay the order waiting on an order for a very wide mask roll that will be used very rarely.

Ross Moshinsky
06-24-2012, 1:03 PM
There is no telling what the sandblasting mask is made of. That's the only issue I can think of. A lot of them are made with some amount of vinyl.

In a pinch you can use green or blue masking tape from the hardware store. There is some issue where the tape overlaps though.

Larry Bratton
06-24-2012, 1:28 PM
I understand both replies but I need a mask like yesterday. I have the film on hand and just thought I might be able to improvise without having to delay the order waiting on an order for a very wide mask roll that will be used very rarely.

I would test it to see if it has any pvc in it first. Easy to do, then your sure. http://www.rarenotes.net/beilstein.html I would not engrave through it without testing it, however, vector cutting a small quantity probably would not harm anything. Just take a propane or butane torch and with a piece of copper wire, heat it up. Then get some of the mask to stick to it and burn it with the torch. If it burns yellow or anything besides green your good to go. Good luck.

Cindy Rhoades
06-24-2012, 1:39 PM
Thanks Larry I know it has no PVC in it and I need such a wide mask that I couldn't find anything wide enough that would not have some kind of bleed through at the edges and I know the sand blasting mask will adhere nicely keeping the color fill where it needs to be.

Larry Bratton
06-24-2012, 1:44 PM
Thanks Larry I know it has no PVC in it and I need such a wide mask that I couldn't find anything wide enough that would not have some kind of bleed through at the edges and I know the sand blasting mask will adhere nicely keeping the color fill where it needs to be.
Test it on something to see how it works, but if there is no pvc in it you should be good to go. Let us know if it works for you.

Mike Null
06-25-2012, 8:00 AM
I read your post to mean you wanted to use photo resist which I'm quite sure will not work.