PDA

View Full Version : Freud blade for PC biscuit joiner...how many teeth?

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
06-24-2012, 9:00 AM
I am probibaly over doing it with even bothering to worry bout such a thing in a biscuit joiner but since I am going to replace the blade in my PC557 I figured I would ask.

Is there going to be any reason that smoothness of the 8-tooth blade will create a better glue surface than the 6-tooth one? Seems for this application I should go for speed which I assume will be the 6-tooth blade??

Thoughts?

Thx

Bruce Wrenn
06-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Either Ashcrofts or Raleigh Saw can sharpen your current blade.

Bob Wingard
06-25-2012, 12:24 AM
I use biscuits a LOT ... and I actually prefer a reground/sharpened blade ... it takes away a few thousandths off the face, making the biscuits just a tad tighter in their slots.

Van Huskey
06-25-2012, 1:09 AM
I would think a SLIGHLTY rougher finish would give better glue adhesion if anything.

Ryan Wood
06-25-2012, 6:17 AM
I dont think that it make a huge if you get the diffrence but I agree with what Van said that the surface would be a slight bit rougher and give glue a little more strength. The other benafit that I see to using a blade with less teath is that it should make the slot for the biscuits a little bit quicker.

Bob Wingard
06-25-2012, 8:47 AM
SMOOTH ... i.e. JOINTED surfaces are best for glue purposes.

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
06-25-2012, 2:49 PM
That is a great point, more often then not my biscuits are too small for a perfect fit before having to soak in water...might be worth a resharpen for that purpose alone.

I use biscuits a LOT ... and I actually prefer a reground/sharpened blade ... it takes away a few thousandths off the face, making the biscuits just a tad tighter in their slots.

HANK METZ
06-25-2012, 3:34 PM

I use 5/32" 3- wing slot cutters in my router table as much as I do my joiner and have them customized with an alternate top bevel and raker tooth grind. Gives superior crossgrain cuts in plywood and machines solids just as well. Most collection problems with the portables is because the typical tooth design is ATB, which produces long stringgy offings that plug up the evacuation port. an ATB+ R chops it up to a finer state which discharges more readily.

- Beachside Hank
Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks.

Will Blick
06-26-2012, 6:04 PM
how many biscuits till one needs to sharpen? I have simply changed them in the past, as cost wasn't too high...but I love this sharpen concept for tighter fitting biscuits... another thing that seems obvious, after you hear it :-)