PDA

View Full Version : What every club should have.....

Reed Gray
06-23-2012, 8:23 PM
Every single club meeting or gathering of woodworkers/woodturners that I have gone to, some one comes in with a piece of wood asking for identification. I even went to a gathering of the International Wood Collectors Society once, just out of curiosity. Each club should have a swatch/patch book of different wood species. Say 3 by 5 or 6 inch by about 1/4 inch thick, with a finish on them. Maybe even bark, sap wood, and heart wood. If you want to get real fancy, then leaf, flower, fruit and tree picture as well. One side blank, the other side with Latin name (species, family, etc) and common names written on it. You can all play "How many can you identify". Great for craft shows as well because half of the people that come into your booth are other woodworkers. I am always trying to identify the woods that other woodworkers use without having them telling me.

I will be out of contact in Northwest Ontario Canada for a week pursuing walleye and northern pike. Curious to what others think about this.

Trades maybe??????

robo hippy

Reed Gray
07-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Well, first thing on the fishing trip, there is a 'package' with my name on it in the camp kitchen. A find from 2 of my sisters. It is a veneer collection from Albert Constantine and Sons in New York. Maybe 50 samples, starting with Aspen, and ending with Zebrano. Probably from the 50's. A good start.

Oh, yea, the fishing was great, and camp was worth about 1 pound weight gain per day. Reeling in Walleye and Northern doesn't burn as many calories as turning for a day.

More to come on getting a wood swatch book together.

robo hippy

Mike Cruz
07-03-2012, 3:48 PM
What do I think? I think a week in Canada fishing sounds like JUST what the doctor ordered! Just booked my vacation this morning... ;) Funny that I just found this thread, too.

I have one of those, Reed, but only about 20 woods. Having a collection of 100 or more would be a great idea...

Jim Underwood
07-03-2012, 3:50 PM
I keep my "book" in a pile of chunks on the floor of my shop. :D

Must be near-on to fifty species in there... :o