PDA

View Full Version : New shaper choices?

Kevin Crawford
06-23-2012, 8:09 PM
Hello,
I am upgrading my shaper for my shop pretty quick and I wanted to ask general opinions. I was originally thinking I would get the powermatic 2700 but I was emailed felder's summer promotions the other day and they have a hammer F3 sliding shaper going for only another $400 over the powermatic. The Hammer also has the slider and tilting spindle. I have not owned a Hammer machine before and I have heard good things about the powermatic fence so some input would be helpful. Anybody have either of these units or possible other options.
Thanks
-Kevin

Mike Heidrick
06-23-2012, 9:33 PM
Whats the total amount?
Does it have to be new?
Is itt going down steps or in a basement? Can you deal with a 800lb-1000lb machine?
Do you need a router collet for your spindle?

Kevin Crawford
06-23-2012, 9:52 PM
I was looking to get new middle class machine(delta, powermatic, hammer) or a used scm, felder, ect. machine but I haven't seen any around in a while so I'm okay with a new middle class machine. I want to keep the machine under $5k. not going down anything and 800-1000lb is fine. Dont care one way or the other about router collet, I have seperate router table. I do doors/windows and cabinets so a good all around machine is what I'm looking for. Sorry I should have clarified at first.

Rick Fisher
06-23-2012, 9:59 PM
The tilting feature on the Hammer is nice but I have never really had a need for it. Maybe for wood windows ?

The Hammer machinery is pretty nice .. Decently priced, a step above most of the Asian Import machinery.. If you have 3 phase, I would probably look at a used T-110 or T-130 if you can find one..

You may also want to look at the Mini Max line if your looking to spend about $5K .. Not saying they are better than the hammer but they may appeal to you.

Kevin Crawford
06-23-2012, 10:25 PM
That's the other thing. It needs to be a single phase machine. Minimax has one that is under 5K, the t45, It looks nice but there web site is poor when it comes to details and info about some of there machines. Ya I've never had the tilting feature so I wouldn't miss anything I didn't have it.

Rod Sheridan
06-24-2012, 11:53 AM

I have a Hammer B3 Winner which has a tilting spindle. I've used that feature often, makes great bevels, also you can use a standard glue joint cutter as a lock mitre cutter....Saves on tooling. In the phoyograph I'm putting a bevel on some cedar for a window sill for my Moms house. It had to match the other sills so a tilting spindle gave me the exact bevel required.............Rod.