PDA

View Full Version : Help buying used Oneway 1640

Scott Buntin
06-23-2012, 2:08 PM
Hello Everyone! This is my first post. I'm wanting to upgrade my lathe. I went yesterday to look at a used Oneway 1640. It appears to be lightly used. Owner states it has been used less than 10 hours. The owner has an amazing shop with multiple lathes including 3 Oneway, 2 General, PM, etc, etc. He is a very detail oriented guy.

My concerns: When the emergency stop switch is pressed the lathe would NOT restart until we turned it off, unplugged it, waited......then it would re-start. It would re-start fine when you just used the "other" stop button. Also, the paint around the edge of the door on top of the headstock was discolored like it had gotten too hot. It was more noticeable where the crack was a little wider like heat had been venting out. ?????

When it ran it seemed to sound OK. I have never been around this type/quality of lathe. It looks really great and there is a bunch of accessories with it including bed extension, vacuum chucking, stronghold chuck, wheel set, live centers, bowl and spindle rests, etc. It's the 2HP model wired for 220v. Asking price $4,950.

I would appreciate your thoughts. I would see this as my dream lathe for life and just do not want to get a bad one.

Thanks!!!

Dale Bright
06-23-2012, 3:09 PM
Looks like a pretty good deal to me. My Oneway lathe has to be power cycled if you use the emergency stop button and I have turned on others that are like that. It all depends on how the controller is programed. I doubt anything could get hot enough to discolor the top of the headstock. It may have been dust from the belt.

Dale

Richard Coers
06-23-2012, 3:43 PM
Call Oneway before putting down money. It doesn't sound good to me at all, and controllers are expensive. Trouble after 10 hours of running sends up another red flag to me. Steve Worcester is trying to sell a 2036 on the AAW site. He started out asking $3800 and is now at $2500 with no takers. It does look well used though. A new one is $4510 without all the other stuff, so seems very high to me.

Wally Dickerman
06-23-2012, 4:02 PM
The Oneway 1640 is an excellent lathe. Price new is $4500. I would estimate that the extras you listed would be at least $2000. I suggest that you make an offer of less then he's asking.

The emergency stop button is programed to do exactly as you described. I'll say that I've had my Oneway for several years and have never used the emergency stop button.

I can't imagine what could cause enough heat to discolor paint around the headstock opening. The discoloration has to come from something else. Try removing it with some mineral spirits. Oneway service is very good. If you're concerned about the paint I suggest that you call them for advice.

Jack Mincey
06-23-2012, 4:15 PM
I have a 1640 with all the extras and love it. The bearings in my Oneway lathe run hot when the speed is cranked up and I'm quite sure yours will as well. 10 hours of use has not even broken the bearings in. The heat is not bad bearings but the type of bearing they use. John Jordan told me that this type of bearing will run warm to hot at higher speeds and it is a normal thing. Mine has been used more than a thousand hours and runs as smooth today as ever. I would turn it on and crank the speed to max and feel for vibrations. I can place a penny on its edge on my bed ways and crank mine up to max speed and the penny doesn't move.
Jack

Mike Golka
06-23-2012, 7:44 PM
Snap it up, as Wally has stated the extras are well worth the asking price. If you can get it cheaper that'll be a bonus. I have the same lathe and love it, smooth as silk.

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2012, 10:40 PM
I would jump on that for sure. I would start with a lower offer but wouldn't hesitate if he won't budge.

Bill Wyko
06-23-2012, 11:58 PM
My BIL had bought a planer a guy had tried to wire for 110v and it was only a 220v machine. it had done some very strange things but once he wired it correctly it ran perfect. The Oneway is a quality lathe so I can't imagine it has too much wrong with it. I use a Onway stronghold chuck and had a problem with it. They advanced me a new one right away and took very good care of me. I personally use a Powermatic 4224 that I absolutely love. Be sure to do your research on your concerns. I think there is a website just for Oneway owners linked from their site, you may check there.

Scott Buntin
06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Men,
Thanks for your help. I have learned the following: the re-starting procedure is normal for Oneway lathes after you hit the emergency stop button. No need to unplug it. Just power it down and wait at least 30 seconds. It should re-set and start normally.

The paint discoloration around the headstock door is still a bit of a mystery, but Kevin at Oneway thinks it is likely a defect in the painting process. He assures me it is not from heat.

I think I will likely purchase this lathe. I'm excited!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!