PDA

View Full Version : Files...

phil harold
06-23-2012, 1:53 PM
Since Nicholson are not what they used to be...
What and where do I purchase some?
any sources of old new stock?

I need bastards and mills and some triangle files for saws

what sizes should I use for 10pt 8pt and 5pt?

also I thought I bookmarked a site of old hand tools on the north east coast
but have lost it

Thanks in advance!

David Weaver
06-23-2012, 2:21 PM
Look on ebay for NOS mill bastard files. They should be fairly cheap there if you keep your eye out. Triangular files:
- grobet "american" (which are not made in the US, I think they're made in eastern europe or india) are good files
- grobet swiss are good files, but more expensive, and functionally may not be worth the extra cost
- simonds - which I think are indian now, are OK. Mike W was using them, may still be. I have some and am satisfied with them.

NOS anything from the US. Good luck finding what you want, but you can probably find a box or two of something you don't need right now.

Matthew N. Masail
06-23-2012, 2:50 PM
how about Vallorbe brand?

george wilson
06-23-2012, 3:12 PM
Vallorbe is a good Swiss brand. I may me wrong,but I think this was taken over by Grobet. I have a set of Vallorbe 4" needle files that I value very much,because they have a very coarse cut for a 4" file. I ordered a set of Grobets of the same cut,#2, some years later,and their #2 cut was about 3 times finer than the #2 of the Vallorbes. I was disappointed,and never found out why the Vallorbe #2 files were so much coarser than the later Grobet#2's. The coarser files are great for small wood carving and brass work,where I want a faster cutting file on very small work.

Matthew N. Masail
06-23-2012, 4:11 PM
Thats great, I'll call the place tomorrow. thanks!