PDA

View Full Version : Basswood

Kevin G. May
06-23-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm wanting to engrave some photo's (wildlife) scenes onto these wooden planks from Walnut Hollow. I've seen one at Epilog but have yet to find any power & speed settings. I don't want to waste a lot of material getting close. Any suggestions. I have a 36 EXT 60 watt. Any settings to start would be greatly appreciated. Kevin.

Joe Pelonio
06-23-2012, 3:02 PM
I can't help as mine is only 45 watts, but I do suggest the fastest speed and lowest power you can. It's a soft wood and doesn't take much, but if you go too slow or use too much power it will scorch and blur the image. I have done many wooden postcards with photo images using basswood. It cuts like butter compared to baltic birch.

Kevin G. May
06-23-2012, 3:34 PM
I can't help as mine is only 45 watts, but I do suggest the fastest speed and lowest power you can. It's a soft wood and doesn't take much, but if you go too slow or use too much power it will scorch and blur the image. I have done many wooden postcards with photo images using basswood. It cuts like butter compared to baltic birch.Thanks Joe, I'll keep looking. Any info on how to align laser? Red dot target says its out of aliognment.

Joe Pelonio
06-23-2012, 5:16 PM
The red dot and engraving/cutting beam are two different things and have to be adjusted individually.

It's harder without the tool that you rent from Epilog. This is the basic idea but may vary on your larger machine:
http://support.epiloglaser.com/article.aspx?cid=8205&aid=12189

Do you still have the target? If not it's easy to make with acrylic. Without the tool you just have to be careful to quickly press stop or open the top and not burn too far onto the target. The tool disables the door closed safety feature and has a button for oje quick fire.

Kevin G. May
06-23-2012, 5:37 PM
The red dot and engraving/cutting beam are two different things and have to be adjusted individually.

It's harder without the tool that you rent from Epilog. This is the basic idea but may vary on your larger machine:
http://support.epiloglaser.com/article.aspx?cid=8205&aid=12189

Do you still have the target? If not it's easy to make with acrylic. Without the tool you just have to be careful to quickly press stop or open the top and not burn too far onto the target. The tool disables the door closed safety feature and has a button for oje quick fire.Yes I do have the target. I will let you know how it turns out. Again, Thanks Joe; Kevin.

Larry Bratton
06-23-2012, 6:04 PM
Tip, before you start, check the pointer alignment to the burn at position 4 (bottom left). If it is not on top of the burn, read your instructions and align the pointer to the burn. There after, you can use the pointer for alignment. Important you follow those steps carefully.