PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familar with Grizzly's floor standing oscillating spindle sander?

Glen Blanchard
06-23-2012, 11:36 AM
I would like to replace my benchtop oscillating spindle sander with a floor standing model. I have had my eyes on JET's version, but am now thinking about Grizzly's iteration. The specs seems to very similar, both having a 1 hp motor, 10 spindles, same stroke length, almost identical table sizes,etc. I have numerous machines from both JET and Grizzly, and have been very satisfied with both.

Anyone have personal experience with the Grizzly?

http://www.amazon.com/708411-JOVS-10-Oscillating-Vertical-115-Volt/dp/B0000223MU/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1340455195&sr=1-4&keywords=spindle+sander

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/G1071

Cary Falk
06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
I have had mine for a little over a year now. At first I was not happy with the flatness of the table. It drooped a little as you go towards the edge. I was able to take care of that with some properly placed shims between the table and the trunnions. The throat inserts are stamped steel instead of machined and are not completely flat. I was always going to do somethig about it but I haven't done it because it hasn't caused me any problems. I am guessing for some of my Jet tools that Jet's are stamped steel also. All and all I am happy with the machine.

joe milana
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
I've played with the machine in the demo room at Springfield before. It's a pretty simple machine, does what it's suppose to do. Spins around, goes up & down, and sands. Nice cast iron table, plenty of power. Only thing negative I have heard is that it's difficult to change spindles, but I have no experience, so that's something to look into.

eugene thomas
06-23-2012, 1:55 PM
I bought the grizzly when first came out, runs great... One of few tools in shop never plan to replace.

Barry Richardson
06-23-2012, 2:20 PM
I've used one where I work for several years. Overall a nice heavy duty machine. But some nitpicks: the on/off switch crapped out within a year. No big deal, just repaced it with a standard togle switch. The dust collection is not great, it could probably be improved upon, but I haven't messed with it. One other beef is some of the replacement sleeves fit super tight. they are a bear to change. I have to put the rubber spindles in the freezer to shrink em enough to get the sleeve on sometimes. The spindles are a bit of a hassel to change and the wrenches that come with it are junk. But I still think it is the best quality/value. They are used in a lot of production shops.

Van Huskey
06-23-2012, 2:55 PM
One difference between the Jet and Grizzly is the Grizzly has a cast iron trunnion, the Jet has a stamped steel one.

Kevin Nathanson
06-23-2012, 4:29 PM
Does anyone have a source for (better) wrenches?

Uh, if it isn't obvious from that question... I have a Grizzly 1071. It's good, and the dust collection on mine has been modified so that it now collects dust.

From the spindle, while sanding, although I suppose the original non-dust-collecting dust collector is, in fact, now indeed collecting dust somewhere.

Always happy to add clarity to the discussion.

I was serious about the wrench question though... I need a pair.

K

Cary Falk
06-23-2012, 6:17 PM
I buy a cheap set of open wrenches from HF.

Steven Hsieh
06-23-2012, 7:02 PM
Get the shop fox, it has biggest the table of all of them.
http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-W1686-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/dp/B001R23SSQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1340492602&sr=1-3&keywords=shop+fox+spindle

Steven Hsieh
06-23-2012, 7:05 PM
Does anyone have a source for (better) wrenches?

Heres what you do

Order Grizzly 2 pairs of wench.

Then get 2 wrench and weld them together. Same with other pair.

jim gossage
06-23-2012, 11:21 PM
I thoroughly looked at the griz and the jet and went w griz about 5 yeas ago. Its far superior to the jet in several ways. Look up my post from 2009 for my detailed review including good wrench sources and a fix for the weak dust collection.

Glen Blanchard
06-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Folks seem to be complaining about the manner in which spindles are changed out on the Grizzly. I assume that changing out a spindle involves removing one nut and then replacing it once the desired spindle is in place. Correct? Is the JET different than this? I have a Delta BOSS benchtop and it has a similar arrangement. I'd prefer some kind of quick-change thing, but I have never seen a spindle sander with such a thing. Is there one?

My other concern is the dust collection. My BOSS actually has great dust collection, so losing this will be disconcerting.

Jim - I checked out your review, and it appears as if the plastic piece you added acts as a shroud to guide the dust down to the actual port. Did I understand that the shroud has to be removed and replaced when making a spindle change?

Ben Martin
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Have you considered an older State or Max sander? Might be more bang for your buck if you can find one local...

Alan Schaffter
06-24-2012, 12:14 PM
It is easy to change a spindle on an old Max- the bottom of the spindles have a short threaded section that holds them in and a Morse #2 taper section above that to keep it centered. You just grab the spindle with your hands and rotate to install or remove it . . . . . . unless the previous owner left the spindle installed and left the whole machine outside in the rain . . . . then it takes a flame wrench and serious work to remove it the first time! :confused:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1774/medium/IMG_3039.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1774/medium/IMG_3040.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1774/medium/IMG_30602.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1774/medium/IMG_3069.jpg

Mike Heidrick
06-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I bought my 1071 used. NEver got the wrenches so I use my Craftsman set. Never had an issue changing the spindles.

Glen Blanchard
06-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Mike - Ever have an issue with dust collection?

I bought my 1071 used. NEver got the wrenches so I use my Craftsman set. Never had an issue changing the spindles.

Steven Hsieh
06-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Jet, Grizzly and shop fox all have this problem,. They all are pain in the As to change the spindles.

Mike Heidrick
06-24-2012, 4:48 PM
YES!! Dust pan and brush and broom are my solutions. Run the air cleaners and a use a mask. Going to add some 4" hose 3 sided boxes with rare earth magnets - The kind you use with no fence on RT of shaper.

Ira Matheny
06-24-2012, 5:57 PM
I added a 'universal' dust collection fix to my older MAX oscillating spindle sander. Used a piece of 4" flex off the dust collection system to a big-mouth plastic fitting from Woodcraft. To the bottom of the Big Mouth, I added several larger Rare Earth Magnets held with epoxy. I place it on the cast table, moving it around easily for maximum dust collection.

I use a similar system on one of my older bandsaws and on the lathe.

Mike Heidrick
06-24-2012, 7:09 PM
I just saw the $1500-$1700 Delta OSS with tilting arbor and 4" DC. I think it looks sweet but big money!!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Delta-Heavy-Duty-Oscillating-Floor-Spindle-Sander-31-484-NEW-/00/s/MzUwWDM1MA==/$(KGrHqF,!rcE-Yo5HRkOBPy(Ub8GBg~~60_12.JPG

Delta Heavy-Duty Oscillating Floor Spindle Sander
Model 31-484
Features
•Powerful 1 HP, single phase, 110V motor with 1,725 RPM spindle speed and 71 OPM
•Fully enclosed, heavy-duty steel frame construction for optimum dust management and minimum vibration
•24-5/8-in x 24-1/2-in precision ground cast iron table
•1-1/2-in oscillating action uses more of the sleeve, prolonging life of the sleeve while protecting wood from excess heat created by a fixed oscillating spindle
•Unique 0 - 45 degree tilting spindle arbor design allows for adjusting the sanding angle and to bevel sand while the table remains flat
•Adjustable positive stops at 45 and 90 degrees and large bevel scale for accuracy and convenience
•Heavy-duty, cast iron trunnion system supports oil bath gear box, provides increased stability and accuracy
•Smooth precision ball bearing support the main spindle and heavy-duty worm and gear mechanism drives the oscillations
•Removable rear access panel making spindle adjustments and changes easier
•Oversized cast iron, chrome polished tilt wheel with knurled lock knob
•On-tool storage for all inserts, spindles and wrenches
SPECIFICATIONS
Length of Oscillations
1-1/2-in
Table Size
24-5/8-in x 24-1/2-in
OPM
Weight
374 lbs.
Voltage
110V
Motor
1 HP, Single Phase
Spindle Speed
1,725 RPM

Van Huskey
06-24-2012, 8:38 PM
I think is is funny they call the tilting arbor unique, been around forever. Unique in the Asian imports maybe.

Actually the tilting table is what I hate about the Asians, if I was in the market for a "new" OSS that would be top of my list.

Chris Rosenberger
06-24-2012, 8:45 PM
I have had a Grizzly G1071 Spindle for a few months. It is a very nice sander. I had a Clayton 125 before getting the Grizzly. I have to say that I like the Grizzly better than the Clayton.
I improved the dust collection on the Grizzly with a couple pieces of foam rubber. I made several additional inserts out of wood. I have not had a problem changing spindles, but I did get 2 offset router wrenches & ground them to fit the spindles. I can now loosen & tighten the spindles through the spindle opening above the table.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/DSCF1652.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/DSCF1650.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/DSCF1651.jpg

jim gossage
06-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Folks seem to be complaining about the manner in which spindles are changed out on the Grizzly. I assume that changing out a spindle involves removing one nut and then replacing it once the desired spindle is in place. Correct? Is the JET different than this? I have a Delta BOSS benchtop and it has a similar arrangement. I'd prefer some kind of quick-change thing, but I have never seen a spindle sander with such a thing. Is there one?

My other concern is the dust collection. My BOSS actually has great dust collection, so losing this will be disconcerting.

Jim - I checked out your review, and it appears as if the plastic piece you added acts as a shroud to guide the dust down to the actual port. Did I understand that the shroud has to be removed and replaced when making a spindle change?

Glen,
I really don't find the spindle change a PITA. I pull my wrenches off the front of the machine, engage the nuts, turn the top nut 1/2 turn, unscrew the spindle, put the new one on, and tighten the nuts - about 30-40 seconds. Add 10 seconds if you have to change the insert. Yes, you have to remove the shroud for spindle changes - about 3 seconds to remove it and 7 seconds to replace it. The shroud just happens to fit perfectly under the table and I drilled two 1/2" holes in the bottom of it so that the shroud snaps in place over two bolts in the machine. It was kindof fortuitious how it fit. I can send you more pictures and a template if you go that wa. It takes 4 hours and 10 min to make the shroud - 4 hours to eat all the cream puffs and 10 minutes to cut the shroud! Seriously, there is no dust on the machine top after sanding with this set up.