PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw tires

kevin nee
06-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I have an 18 inch JET bandsaw and the lower wheel tire starts to walk off.
I ordered two new tires from Jet. The upper tire seems to have no issues.
Should I change both tires or just do the problem one and keep a spare? Are there any pointers or tricks as this is my first tire replacement?
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Myk Rian
06-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Are they rubber? If so, they'll need to be glued on.
Too much blade tension will squeeze the tires off.

Van Huskey
06-23-2012, 3:17 PM
Are the replacements urethane or rubber?

kevin nee
06-23-2012, 5:57 PM
They are rubber.

John Coloccia
06-23-2012, 6:05 PM
The first hint I would give if see if you can get urethane tires and return the rubber ones. IMHO, the urethane tire are superior in every way to rubber tires, including being easier to install (no glue....just stretch and...well, that's it).

Tim Boger
06-23-2012, 6:56 PM
I have an 18 inch JET bandsaw and the lower wheel tire starts to walk off.
I ordered two new tires from Jet. The upper tire seems to have no issues.
Should I change both tires or just do the problem one and keep a spare? Are there any pointers or tricks as this is my first tire replacement?
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Kevin,

I would replace both, as stated, urethane is a better choice from the info I've gathered.

Soak the new urethane tires in water ( add a bit of dish soap) that is just short of boiling for 15 /20 minutes, they'll stretch easier. They will cool quick so be ready to go.

I took the wheels off and put them on a thick blanket on the ground, I used my old motorcycle tire irons which made the job quite easy.

Any narrow pry bar will help, with out it you'll struggle.

Tim

Van Huskey
06-23-2012, 7:00 PM
The first hint I would give if see if you can get urethane tires and return the rubber ones. IMHO, the urethane tire are superior in every way to rubber tires, including being easier to install (no glue....just stretch and...well, that's it).

For saws like the Jet (and almost all Asian imports) that use thin tires designed to conform to crowned wheels, I agree. There is no downside to urethane for those saws. Urethane is not available for a whole host of heavier duty saws. (Old US iron and European saws for example).

Rick Fisher
06-23-2012, 10:07 PM
I have a 24" Saw and put Urethane tires on it .. They are not readily available over about 20" .. I ordered them custom made by the company that makes the orange ones..

The top Urethane tire would walk off the top wheel.. so I posted here and someone said to glue it on with Urethane based hair spray.. I tried it and it worked wonderfully..

You can get Urethane tires in pretty much any size, but need to call the mfg and tell them ... if its a large size, they will sell direct..

Trying to remember the companies name ..

Here it is .. Sulfur Grove Tool .. Urethane Bandsaw Tires.. 1-800-657-5064

Myk Rian
06-29-2012, 9:42 AM
It helps to read the complete thread. Kevin stated they are rubber tires.

Bob Wingard
06-29-2012, 5:11 PM
It helps to read the complete thread. Kevin stated they are rubber tires.

SHHHH !!! Don't let the facts get in the way of a good discussion ...