PDA

View Full Version : Full extension slides on drawers

Chris Barnett
06-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Considering changing partial extension drawer slides to full extension. Other than just purchasing the correct length of the full-extension slides and attachment hardware, reading the instructions, getting the width correct, is there anything else I need to consider...is simple swap-out really simple? Purchasing an entertainment center (wife says it would take too long if I add to my list of stuff to do :p) so need to either change drawer slides or modify a shelf to add full extension slides for the turntable (yeah, that ancient...just can't seem to pitch it).

Sam Murdoch
06-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Are you intending to swap out 1/2" thick side mounts with 1/2" thick full extension side mounts or do you want to incorporate undermounts? The first is an easy change - no brainer - just buy the size you want and screw them on. The latter require drawer box modifications. Tell us more so that we can tell you more.

Chris Barnett
06-24-2012, 7:49 AM
Not sure which slides the pieces have since the entertainment center is not purchased yet. The option to change out to full extension is part of the equation of which entertainment center is selected. I think the standard slides will take the nominal weight...maybe 10 pounds or so, and probably less ....do not plan to put the amps on slides since they are quite heavy.
I only needed to confirm that there is nothing unique in the interfaces to a cabinet or drawer, which you have done, and thanks.

Robert LaPlaca
06-24-2012, 1:15 PM
Are you intending to swap out 1/2" thick side mounts with 1/2" thick full extension side mounts or do you want to incorporate undermounts? The first is an easy change - no brainer - just buy the size you want and screw them on. The latter require drawer box modifications. Tell us more so that we can tell you more.

I am with Sam, it kind of depends on the type of full extension slides.. The under-mounted style slides typically have critical drawer box dimensions in order for the undermount to fit and operate in the opening

Paul Wunder
06-24-2012, 1:54 PM
Chris,

Before you decide on the entertainment unit, I would make sure that in fact standard 1/2" clearance side mounts are being used. I got a rude awakening when I needed to replace the side mounted slides on a RTA file cabinet. It was less than 1/2' (3/8"?) and between that limitation and the depth needed, I could not find a suitable replacement.

Chris Barnett
06-24-2012, 9:36 PM
OK, will check. Nowadays could be anything, including anything within metric too. Will remove a drawer and check. Thanks.