PDA

View Full Version : Wild Black Cherry Bowl

Glenn Hodges
04-05-2005, 2:31 PM
This 12.5 inch wide X 4.75 inch high wild black cherry bowl has malachite, red coral, and coffee grounds in the inlay. I am still trying to improve my inlay work. The bowl is finished with multiple coats of polymerized tung oil, polyurathane, and turpentine in equal amounts then buffed with the Beal System.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-05-2005, 2:43 PM
Glenn, I really like this bowl! The inlay really sets it off!

Blake McCully
04-05-2005, 3:01 PM
Great bowl, Glenn,
Did you use a power carver to cut out for the inlay or did you use something like a dremel tool?

After you put all you finishes on and when you buffed it, did you use all three of the wheels, or just the carnuba wax wheel?

Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, maybe I'd like to sincerely flatter you, on down the road that is... :confused:

Michael Stafford
04-05-2005, 4:50 PM
Beautiful piece of work, Glenn! :D The wood color is gorgeous and the form is perfect! :) The inlay is very creative. How thin is that bowl?

Jerry Clark
04-05-2005, 5:53 PM
Wow :eek: Glen, I really like the bowl-- good form, and the contrasting inlay makes it perfect! Thanks for sharing. :)

Ed Scolforo
04-05-2005, 6:20 PM
Glenn: All I can say is WOW!! Beautiful in every way.
Ed

Ernie Nyvall
04-05-2005, 6:50 PM
Glen, that is really nice. Just a beautiful piece.

Ernie

Steve Knowlton
04-05-2005, 7:49 PM
Great Looking Bowl. I Like The Shine That It Has. Keep Up The Great Work.

Glenn Hodges
04-06-2005, 8:52 AM
I really appreciate all the nice compliments, thanks. I carved the outlines of the inlays with a Fordom like carver I purchased from Harbor Freight, and then I used an electric Proxxon carver to remove the inner wood. I found it takes to long time to remove the inner wood with the Fordom type grinding carver because I only have small burr bits. The walls are a little less that .5 inch thick, and the finish was so nice on this one I only had to use the white diamond and carnuba wax buffs with the Beal System. If I had needed it I would have used them all.
I took this one to the North Florida Woodturners meeting last night for show and tell. When I got up to show it I said it was just another small wild cherry bowl (I was holding the inlay toward me). As I was talking about the bowl, and turning the bowl so the inlay would face the audience, when the inlay came into their view they started talking about it. Some turners like inlays, and some don't. I think they are a way to spice up a boring piece of wood.