PDA

View Full Version : Budget-Friendly Workbench - Wood November 2009 - Opinions or Experience

Ken Frohnert
06-23-2012, 7:28 AM
I have a small shop and need to build a small mobile work bench - I have bought to many power tools and need to move my larger one to the garage and replace it with something smaller.
I do mostly power tool work and was looking through a old Wood Magazine (Nov 2009) and saw a plan for a Budget Friendly workbench. It is about 5' long and a little over 2' wide.
It has two wheels and feet on the other end so I could move it. It looks reasonably easy to build. Here is a link to the plans so you can see it - http://www.woodstore.net/buwo.html

I would like to know if any of you have built this and if so what did/do you think? I am sure that some of you can look at the plans and make suggestions or see issues based on your experiences with workbenches even if you did not build this specific bench - I would welcome any comments or suggestions. Do you think I could mount a vice on this bench?

Ryan Wood
06-23-2012, 9:39 AM
I think that the bench looks nice but it is realy small. I have a small work shop and managed to fit a 7x3 bench in and its realy nice having that much space on it.I think that the bench from wood would work but i would make it deeper than two feet i would make it 3 feet deep so there would be more room to work.

glenn bradley
06-23-2012, 10:05 AM
It does look like a nice little work surface. Is mobility a priority? Do you plan to add vise(es)? For a vise/dog hole-free surface that small I would be tempted to make the base a drawer unit and use something simple for the top. If it is also going to be a work holding surface (vises and dogs) I would build it more as shown but, still add some drawer space for sheer weight (to assist in preventing creep whilst working).

Few of us have the shop of our dreams; including those lucky guys with monster sized barns. We all have to judge the features that are important for how we work and make the concessions in the areas that will effect us the least. I combine a bench, rolling work surface and tablesaw outfeed to give me a pretty workable solution for design, parting, assembly and finish of my projects. I have things that are in my way but, are of a sufficient value to my processes to make them worthy of being there. Other items go to the shed and come out when called ;-) My point (and it was getting lost there for a minute) is that the bench looks nice, I hope an actual builder may chime in but, your interpretation will be the important one in the end.

Jim Matthews
06-23-2012, 11:20 AM
I have a smaller bench that is directly on the floor. I don't want one that moves easily.
I would recommend Bob Van Dyke's (http://www.finewoodworking.com/PlansAndProjects/PlansAndProjectsPDF.aspx?id=34361) design for a first timer - it stays flat and is very durable.
I've taken classes at the CVWWS and these things are really solid.

Prashun Patel
06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
If you plan any handtool work then the casters on that bench are a non-starter. I made a similar style bench thinking the 2 legs would keep it stationary.

If you have the $$ I would spring for good double locking casters.

Ken Frohnert
06-23-2012, 12:36 PM
I have a 2'x6' bench now - non-mobile that is really nice. However, I only have a 12x20 workspace and I bought to many tools. I love tools especially older power tools - I just bought a 1957 Shopsmith Mark 5 that I cut the tubes off 18" and turned in to a dedicated 12" disc sander - Nice table and variable speed. But it is still about 2'x4' - not really efficient use of floorspace for a disc sander (it will also horizontal bore) but I love old tools. So I need to move my old bigger bench to the unheated garage to make room make a smaller bench for working in my shop. I wanted to go mobile with it so I can move it to the middle and work on both sides or move it out side. I am thinking about pouring a 4' x7' slab so on nice days I can roll it right out side my shop - my shop has a 7' garage door on one end so it would be easy to roll out. I would still have my bigger bench in the garage for pounding or heavy work.

I was thinking of putting some bench dogs - with the pusher type of thing on them. I think Lee Valley sells them - but they are not cheap.

I appreciate Patels experience with the locking casters - I can do that - I will get 4 full locking.

Alan Schwabacher
06-23-2012, 2:20 PM
I had not seen it before, but for your stated purpose that bench looks like a good choice. For handwork you still have your big bench, so this would provide storage, work surface, and possibly infeed or outfeed support for your machines.

As far as a vise goes, you can of course add one, but whether it's useful will depend on what you are trying to do, and whether the small light bench provides proper support. A vise that allows clamping flat to the top with bench dogs is nice.

A different small power tool bench was described in Fine Woodworking #223, and is shown in this video:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopArticle.aspx?id=34430

The clamping method shown could be adapted to other bench designs as well.

Larry Whitlow
06-24-2012, 1:18 AM
Ken, I previously had a bench very similar to the one you are considering (two fixed feet and two on lockable casters). I was never happy with it because there was too much movement. My newest bench/assembly/outfeed table is very solid and uses retractable casters for mobility. The ones I am using are called "workbench casters" from Rocklers. They cost more than the carcass of my new bench, but the good news for me is I had a gift certificate. If not I would have fabracated something. Anyway, my advise is to avoid having your bench mounted on casters -- especially if it is a small bench. Instead, do a little searching and I expect you will find a lot of ideas on how to make your own retractable casters.

Have fun.

Larry

Ken Frohnert
06-24-2012, 11:07 AM
I know great lakes makes some that the feet lower down based on a small thumb wheel - They are about 23 each.