PDA

View Full Version : wobbly spindle

Phil Labowski
06-23-2012, 5:37 AM
Hi all, it's been awhile. Unfortunately I'm not showing off my latest piece and that would be because when I took it off the faceplate and put it in the chuck there was an obvious wobble in the chuck and spindle a adapter. I can't see it when it's just the spindle, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Can anyone tell me how to see it in the spindle? Also, ways to fix would be great too! Thanks in advance.

Rick Markham
06-23-2012, 3:58 PM
Phil, I don't think you will be able to see it in the spindle, especially if the runout is very small. There are feeler gauges that machinists use to test for runout on lathes and milling machines they are usually accompanied by a magnetic base, that holds the gauge in place. That's the most accurate way to test. Does the Faceplate have runout in it too? If it's the spindle, then everything you put on it should have run out. It's pretty hard to get a spindle out of axis (certainly not impossible though), its more likely a bad spindle adapter in your chuck.

Phil Labowski
06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Okay a board and a long level mixed with the patience of Job, I'm fairly certain the spindle is running true. (though the threads by the shoulder got chewed up somehow) A face plate ran true. I put on the adapter and it was out of whack! So what do I do take it back to Wood Craft and exchange it? It's been more than a year since I bought my chuck, but it is obviously out of alignment. But, could the messed up threads be the problem? I'd hate to take it up there, have them put it on a machine and it work like a charm.

Rick Markham
06-24-2012, 4:13 AM
Hard to say Phil, wouldn't hurt to take it up there. Since it isn't new I would just plan on buying a new one.... It's still cheaper (and easier) to replace than a spindle ;)

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-24-2012, 6:09 AM
Before you go to the store try one thing. Remove the adapter. Clean the parts with a spray lubricant like Boeshield or use WD40 if you have nothing else. Then reset the adapter. I don't know what kind of adapter you have but some have a third screw hole that is normally left empty. Remove the screws and thread one of them into that empty hole. It will push out the adapter. Something tells me the adapter didn't seat properly.
The chewed up area next to the threads was caused by someone forgetting to loosen set screws on a face plate or chuck. File them down carefully before rechecking the chuck.
Good luck.
faust

James Combs
06-24-2012, 12:50 PM
You don't mention the brand of the chuck or adapter but there are several threads on here about third party adapters being notorious for having run out. In particular a lot of the threads involve Nova chucks using a third party(many are Woodcraft) adapters. Replacing the 3rd party adapter with a Nova adapter was the usual fix. If that is your situation you may try changing the adapter to the same brand as the chuck.

Michael Mills
06-24-2012, 1:38 PM
If you have a Nova chuck and an adapter sold "for" a Nova chuck it may be the problem. Woodcraft locally sells two different adapters and NEITHER are Nova adapters. The problem is normally how the adapter seats in the chuck, not how it seats against the spindle.
If the adapter has run-out (without the chuck) does the mating surface of the adapter have a small burr?

Phil Labowski
06-25-2012, 2:40 PM
yeah, the brand names would be helpful wouldn't they. Lathe is the Delta 46-460, chuck and adapter are both WoodCraft's "Wood River" (i think that's what it's called). The adapter could be described as a nut threaded on the in and out side. It just screws on to make the outside diameter large enough for the chuck's inside diameter. Now the spindle is a bit chewed up at it's base because one time I did forget to loosen the set pins (actually forgot there was 2), since then I haven't used them at all, figuring if it's so hard for me to get off in the first place it's not going anywhere on its own. But, the other day I barely got the face plate off and that's when the first 1 or 1-1/2 threads got really gouged. That was when I first noticed the wobble.
@Faust: What area are you saying I should file down? The part of the spindle threads that is messed up? I guessing that's what you mean. There's no damage to the faceplate or adapter threads, but the adapter doesn't screw on all the way anymore.
@Michael: As you can see from my response to Faust there is definitly a burr on the mating surface.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-25-2012, 4:15 PM
Phil,
You need to make sure your chuck threads on all the way against the shoulder on the spindle. Let me ask you this; the area where the spindle is messed up from the set screws, is that on the threads themselves or on a non-threaded area between the threads and the shoulder. If it is on the threads, they must be cleaned up.

Phil Labowski
06-26-2012, 10:34 PM
That's a relief then. Once I get over the plague my daughter brought into the house, I can head over and check out if I can smooth the threads so the adapter can meet the shoulder again. Thanks for the help again guys!