PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of walnut turkey call

Harry Thornton
04-05-2005, 2:17 PM
This call was done with a router, beltsander,drill and elbow grease...lots of it. I have a great deal of respect for the strength and stubborn resistance of walnut.

http://home.comcast.net/~hathornton/call1.jpg
The backside is even more Spartan. I finally just took some 00 steel wool and removed most of the shellac on the back.

http://home.comcast.net/~hathornton/call2.jpg

Jeff Sudmeier
04-05-2005, 2:44 PM
Harry, the call looks great! Would you mind sharing your process for creating it.

P.s I like the Tauras too :)

Martin Shupe
04-05-2005, 3:01 PM
Nice call, Harry...

I have always wanted to hunt turkeys, something on my list to do.

Jim Becker
04-05-2005, 3:31 PM
Unlike Martin, I have no desire to hunt them...and they are regular visitors to our home since we feed them right outside my shop. But I'm really interested in how that call actually works! It would be nice to be able to call them for dinner, etc... :D SO...'splain that thing, please!

Mark Cothren
04-05-2005, 5:02 PM
Very nice call there Harry! I also hope to make a few of these soon when I get a lathe. Are you also making your own strikers? What type of wood will you use for those?

Thanks,
Mark

Corey Hallagan
04-05-2005, 8:32 PM
Harry, that looks great!! My son is a huge turkey hunter and man I would love to make him one of those scratch calls. He doesn't really need another and he can actually call a turkey naturally without a call.....it is amazing. That is right, my son is part turkey :)
Still I would love to make one for him sometime. Nice job Harry!

Corey

lou sansone
04-05-2005, 9:04 PM
ok ...I am stupid.. how does a turkey call work?

lou

Richard Wolf
04-05-2005, 9:10 PM
I'm not a hunter, but for those waiting for the explaination about how the turkey call works. The top surface is slate, and when you scratch it with a scratch stick it sounds like a turkey. I'm sure someone can fill in the details.

Richard

Harry Thornton
04-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Not much to add to that except that the surface can be glass, aluminum etc. The most popular surface is slate. The call in the picture is crystal.

I am in a big hurry right now so I will explain in more detail later. The way I did it is the hard way. A lathe is the tool of choice and sriker (the stick you scratch the surface with) requires a lathe. There is a diagram on customsawing.com you can download to get an idea of how to make one. If using a lathe, just leave a pedestal in the middle to support the glass soundboard.

James Carmichael
04-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Don't need one anymore, they come right up to my front porch.

I used to like diaphrams to keep my hands free, or box calls. But a scratch slate does give a nice, soft sound when you've got the birds roosted.

What does it say about us creekers that we've responded to this topic :confused:

Harry Thornton
04-06-2005, 8:45 PM
Testosterone is a good thing. It keeps a man from developing osteoperosis and other degenerative conditions.;)