PDA

View Full Version : visit to oregon

allen thunem
06-22-2012, 3:00 PM
Sending out some feelers for turners in the Portland area.
I am making a trip in the next week or so to move my son's belongings and will have an empty pickup truck to bring back some oregon wood.
Anyone out there give me some info on where a guy can pick up some green wood for turning to bring home to colorado in the land of pine and aspen.

charlie knighton
06-22-2012, 7:22 PM
pm robby hippy, he if not in oregon, is in that area, it would be a good creeker visit to see his shop

Ralph Lindberg
06-22-2012, 8:01 PM
I'm guessing you are hoping for Big Leaf Maple, maybe Red Alder and probably Myrtle.
Robo (Reed Gray) actually lives down in Eugene.

What is you exact path? I-80 to Portland?

Reed Gray
06-23-2012, 12:56 AM
There are two or three clubs in Portland, and they should be able to help you out. Salem has a club, and I am down in Eugene, 110 miles south. I will be gone from this Monday through July 2, chasing walleye and Northern Pike in Ontario Canada. I do have some nice myrtle and madrone blanks. I will be gone again from July 11 through the 16th. You are welcome to come down.

robo hippy

Greg Portland
06-25-2012, 2:56 PM
Sending out some feelers for turners in the Portland area.
I am making a trip in the next week or so to move my son's belongings and will have an empty pickup truck to bring back some oregon wood.
Anyone out there give me some info on where a guy can pick up some green wood for turning to bring home to colorado in the land of pine and aspen.
- Goby Walnut sells blanks of varying sizes (maple and walnut, maybe some other woods). They are ~ an hour drive from Portland.
- Gilmer wood company has every type of wood imaginable (pen blank size up to "huge" burls). They are located in NE Portland.

The moisture level of the wood will vary but the folks that run these companies can steer you in the right direction.