PDA

View Full Version : Is the Delta unisaw price reasonable?

will smith
06-22-2012, 2:18 PM
I was looking for a new table saw to upgrade my current one. Found two Delta unisaws with model 36-953 at local CL. One is new in box and the other is slightly used. Both were bought in 2009. The prices are $1400, $1000, respectively. Both come with Biesemeyer fence system, no mobile base. Which one is a better choice? Is the price acceptable? The followings are the pictures of the used one: Thanks for comments.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2667/img0135oq.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8977/img0134mu.jpg

Steven Triggs
06-22-2012, 2:41 PM
If it were me, I'd go for the $1000 one that isn't still "new in the box". Neither are going to have a warranty, and the "new in the box" one could have some unknown issue. If the used one checks out (acceptably flat table, acceptable run out on the arbor, runs well, and so forth), it seems like a very good deal and the fact that it has had some use suggests that any "factory defects" would have already been found. Also, given the environment it appears to be in from the pictures, I doubt it has had significant enough use to be concerned about any shortened life.

Myk Rian
06-22-2012, 4:55 PM
If you're willing to pay the price for either one, they are worth it.
If you think they are a deal, they are. Likewise if you think they are over-priced, they are.

I could have sat here saying, "BUY ONE, buy one, buy one. But I won't.

John Lifer
06-22-2012, 5:04 PM
The one you can see. May be a bit over priced, all depends on your local.
I wouldn't pay 1400 for one in the box.

Van Huskey
06-22-2012, 5:10 PM
I am not sure I want the one in the box, unless the price was much lower, you can't inspect it, it could be a lemon in the box with no recourse. I would feel more comfortable at about $800 for the "used" one. But as Myk mentioned you have to decide what is right for you in YOUR areas used market.

will smith
06-22-2012, 6:08 PM
deal or no deal, hard to say

If you're willing to pay the price for either one, they are worth it.
If you think they are a deal, they are. Likewise if you think they are over-priced, they are.

I could have sat here saying, "BUY ONE, buy one, buy one. But I won't.

John Piwaron
06-22-2012, 7:42 PM
The one you can see. May be a bit over priced, all depends on your local.
I wouldn't pay 1400 for one in the box.

Why not? 1400 for a new in the box unisaw? That seems like super deal to me.

Van Huskey
06-22-2012, 7:45 PM
BTW what is up with the variation between the extension wing and the rails on the one in the pictures you posted?

Paul McGaha
06-22-2012, 8:02 PM
Just my $.02 I think about $1000 for either one of those saws is a fair price. And only then if they were complete and in good shape. For the one out of the box I'm not seeing a fence, one of the table legs seems to be laying on the floor, Insert plate is missing.

I try to buy used tools at a 50% discount. The are both for all practical purposes used tools (No warranty, No options, Have to move them yourself).

I like the saws, I have one a lot like that but mines a little older.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Paul McGaha
06-22-2012, 8:16 PM
BTW what is up with the variation between the extension wing and the rails on the one in the pictures you posted?

That's how they are with a Biesmeyer front rail Van. The front rail extends past the wing on the left side and past the table on the right side so if the fence was all the way to one side or the other of the saw the fence would still be well supported.

PHM

Van Huskey
06-22-2012, 8:52 PM
That's how they are with a Biesmeyer front rail Van. The front rail extends past the wing on the left side and past the table on the right side so if the fence was all the way to one side or the other of the saw the fence would still be well supported.

PHM

I should have been clear, it looks like the extension doesn't run parallel with the rail, it seems to rise up near the end of the front rail, may just be the pic.

will smith
06-22-2012, 9:31 PM
I went to check today. The saw has not been used for a while. The missing fence and insert plate were located in another corner of the garage. The cast iron is a little bit rusty but the seller said it could be cleaned easily.

Just my $.02 I think about $1000 for either one of those saws is a fair price. And only then if they were complete and in good shape. For the one out of the box I'm not seeing a fence, one of the table legs seems to be laying on the floor, Insert plate is missing.

I try to buy used tools at a 50% discount. The are both for all practical purposes used tools (No warranty, No options, Have to move them yourself).

I like the saws, I have one a lot like that but mines a little older.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Cary Falk
06-22-2012, 9:55 PM
I guess it depends what your area is like. As mentioned bot are used saws without warrenty. If there is anything wrong, Delta has been hard to get parts from lately. A new saw with warranty, riving knife, and better dust collection is about the same price as the NIB one.

Thomas Hotchkin
06-23-2012, 2:53 AM
Will
FYI I sold my American made 10 year old Unisaw, with 52" fence last year for $1000.00 on C-list the first day listed. Was it under priced I don't know. Tom

Rick Potter
06-23-2012, 3:28 AM
Looks like he never finished putting it together. As Van said, the fence is not adjusted. I would check to see if the owner moved it around using the table, cause it is going uphill. It also looks hardly used. Since it is the preferable left tilt, I would offer him $800, certainly not over $900. I bought a nice 10 year old one, used lightly, for $700, and it had a mobile base.

Obviously, this owner is keeping the very rare red saw in the background.

Rick Potter

John Piwaron
06-23-2012, 7:42 AM
[QUOTE=Cary Falk;1945609]I guess it depends what your area is like. As mentioned bot are used saws without warrenty. If there is anything wrong, Delta has been hard to get parts from lately. A new saw with warranty, riving knife, and better dust collection is about the same price as the NIB one.[/QU

Unfortunately, a new in box Unisaw costs far more than $1,000 nowadays. I'm speaking of the new design, not any NOS that may be around.

Paul McGaha
06-23-2012, 8:33 AM
Will,

I think if I were in the market for a table saw I would try to grab one of those Unisaws. Just my opinion but I think $1000 is in the ball park, If you could get it for less that would be great. Main thing is are the saws in good shape?

The only stationary tools I've bought used for my shop actually came from creekers. A very good source for used tools I think.

PHM

Cary Falk
06-23-2012, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=Cary Falk;1945609]I guess it depends what your area is like. As mentioned bot are used saws without warrenty. If there is anything wrong, Delta has been hard to get parts from lately. A new saw with warranty, riving knife, and better dust collection is about the same price as the NIB one.[/QU

Unfortunately, a new in box Unisaw costs far more than $1,000 nowadays. I'm speaking of the new design, not any NOS that may be around.

I didn't say a new Unisaw. Delta is not the only game in town that makes a good saw.

will smith
06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I am not familiar with the fence system. From the pictures, it is 30'', 40'' or 52''?

Paul McGaha
06-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Will,

That's a 52".

PHM

John Piwaron
06-23-2012, 7:33 PM
[QUOTE=John Piwaron;1945694]

I didn't say a new Unisaw. Delta is not the only game in town that makes a good saw.

No, they are not. But the thread was about used Unisaws. If you want to include other manufacturers, a saw of comparable quality and capability is still much more than $1,000. Both used saws are still a good deal. Even if the buyer of one has to scrounge some parts to complete it.

kenneth kayser
06-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Amazon's current price for Unisaw w/biesemeier. is $3 grand, delivered. Saving over half on one NIB or 2/3 on one "like new" seems to be a VERY good price. Years ago I bought a new Delta "cabinet saw" from Amazon w/ best biesy fence for $900 delivered. The "cabinet" saw seems to have bigger components than the Unisaw. It came with a 3hp motor, steel side table, melamine wide side table, legs, etc. I have been extremely satisfied. The only thing I have to complain about is the poor dust collection capability.