PDA

View Full Version : Syrange Block Plane

steven c newman
06-22-2012, 1:00 PM
I've been cleaning up a set of three block planes.. One is a knobless Stanley#120, another is a little smaller No-Name ( WITH a bolted on knob) and this strange looking critter235039:eek:Use a 5/32 Allen wrench to loosen a cap iron?:confused: Check out the iron as well. 235042 a block plane set up like a scrub plane?? There is a DE logo at the top. A look under the "hood"235043No wheel. Did Diamond Edge put out a Scrub Block Plane???:confused:

Jim Koepke
06-22-2012, 1:18 PM
Looks like it has a name behind the knob.

I am also wondering if the Allen screw is original or a repair for a wheel assembly that broke or fell off.

Most likely the cambering of the blade was done by a previous user.

jtk

steven c newman
06-22-2012, 1:45 PM
"Name" behind the frog; "MadeinUSA". IF someone drilled out and tapped the hole, they did a very good job of it. I have never seen an iron with that shape to it's length. I have a wheel assembly from a #120, bolt part above the wheel is too short. IF one could thread the wheel assembly into the cap, by the time they get it tight, they will be down to one thread, maybe. This cap sits "higher" than the Stanley caps I have...

Who made Block planes for Shipleigh hardware? Logo is a Diamond Edge one.

Jim Koepke
06-22-2012, 2:07 PM
Here is a history of Shapleigh Hardware.

http://www.thckk.org/history/shapleigh-history.pdf

Diamond edge became their trademark in the 1860s.

Sargent also made blades with that shape if my memory is working.

jtk

Jim Koepke
06-22-2012, 2:12 PM
IF someone drilled out and tapped the hole, they did a very good job of it.

It may be original. If it was already threaded and the wheel broke, it would not have been difficult to drill it out from the inside to get the center and then drill from the outside to get the size for the screw. If it is a standard thread, it would have been easy.

jtk