PDA

View Full Version : oh where oh where is my cyyyyyclone body. oh where oh where could it beeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ryan Brucks
06-22-2012, 10:04 AM
little off topic rant to get those negative vibes out. I may just be having out of the unluckiest darn cyclone installs ever.

So around 2 weeks ago I got my CV cyclone body after waiting a little over a week (not bad at all). I got unlucky and the box had some shipping damage and the cyclone ramp was cracked. I told CV and of course they were very apologetic and got to work on another unit and shipped me another body within a few days or a week or so.

Wednesday the new cyclone body arrived on my front porch. CV had told me they included a return shipping label in the box, and said UPS should be calling me to pick up the old broken cyclone after I had a chance to repack it.

Well I had to work a bit late wednesday, and when I did get home, I was prepping my garage for the cyclone's motor to be installed (was planning on getting everything ready to install the cyclone Thursday, yesterday). That all went well. When I first fired up the motor (no blower housing, just imepeller in the air), I thought my garage was going to take off and fly away!

Thursday morning, usual mad rush out the door to get my daughter to preschool and get to work myself. Came home early that evening all excited to get this install going (I had pre-assembled most of the other stuff to make it quick).

I start to walk up to my house, something odd.

Me: "Hey Honey, did you move tha big box I had on the porch inside for me?"

Wife: "No, the UPS guy was just here and picked it up. He left you this damage shipping receipt."

Me: Self destructs

Now CV and I have been hounding UPS to get this box back to me before I have to wait another 2 weeks....

ok I admit its somewhat my fault for leaving the box out. But I never expected UPS to be the ones to steal it...

Phil Thien
06-22-2012, 6:13 PM
That truly sucks.

Sounds like something I'd do.

Hope they find it.

Ryan Brucks
06-23-2012, 12:00 PM
well they found it... I was able to snag it from the UPS shipping terminal. was funny arguing with the security guard who told me customer pickups were a few blocks down "no really, I'm literally here to take something off a truck"..

well I got the cyclone home last night and to my horror the darn thing is basically cracked in half at the top where it meets the mounting plate, right at the screw heads. About a 1/8" grap at one of the cracks that goes down to the ramp and intake. Then smaller ones on the other side. The box had some dings in it which I photographed, but I have to say I am extremely nervous now given the messy shipping history here (ie, dropped off, picked up unnecessarily, picked up by ME again...). Might be easy for UPS to point the finger, or say they aren't liable, and then I'd feel bad for CV.

I'm not worried about their response; I only just let CV know about this. I know they will take care of it (believe me Cathy almost has a melt down when something goes wrong to inconvenience customers haha) but probably won't hear from them until monday. It's just a bit unfortunate that I now have two busted cyclone bodies sitting there.

I even let CV know I wouldn't be above trying to take out the good ramp from cyclone 2 and put it myself into cyclone 1, since I am scared of what UPS does to these things.

Phil Thien
06-23-2012, 1:18 PM
I've had both UPS and FedEx destroy shipments. Truth is, the larger/heavier the package, the more likely the damage. I attribute this to the possibility that loaders/sorters don't want to hurt themselves with larger packages and allow one end to hit the ground while they drag the box around.

After UPS destroyed a custom server we shipped to Akamai (literally every pop rivet was sheared off, the thing must have been dropped from the plane onto the tarmac), we found these giant red "FRAGILE" and "THIS END UP" stickers (even though it didn't matter which end was up, I like to think it caused people dealing with the package to stop and think a little). We'd put FRAGILE stickers on six sides of the box, and THIS END UP stickers on four.

After that the damage seemed to slow down a bit.

Jerome Stanek
06-23-2012, 2:15 PM
In UPS terms FRAGILE means toss underhand

Ryan Brucks
06-23-2012, 2:38 PM
Thankfully I have a decent DC setup already, just a little bit undersized for my minimax cu300. Just a HF2hp with Wynn, and Thein baffle. The thein baffle works really well for me as you can see by my nice layered chips. I also increased inlet to 6" since the below photo.

I will probably use the extra week to just go overkill on all the other parts of the system. It is getting there. 99.9% done with my overhead blade guard too. All that remains is to attach the vertical aluminum to the rear vertical piece of the guard arm. Need to drill square holes for carriage bolts because I made this blade guard so massive. It's adjustable on 3 axes incase I can't reposition my cu300 exactly, although I rarely if ever move it. Also allows it to be moved aside for tenoning.

Ryan Brucks
06-28-2012, 1:40 PM
Well CV shipped me another cyclone on tuesday using 3 day select. Set to arrive tomorrow :)
I have used the time this week to hang my ducting from the ceiling (at least to my first machine, cu300) as well as finished mounting the blade guard. Also cut the hole in my steel drum etc.

I actually had to dismount and raise up the garage door opener track in my garage to fit the 8" mains. it was a ridiculously tight fit even so, the top of the garage door is about 3/4" from my ducting when it is opening :)

Tonight I will be attaching the blower housing filter transition and caulking it, as well as cutting a hole the wall for the inlet pipe (my DC is in a half-closet kinda). ill probably start a new thread in workshops.

wondering what to do with my HF... could use it as a blower to clean out the shop and driveway?? :)

Matt Meiser
06-28-2012, 1:54 PM
You should see what they do to fluorescent tubes. Amazon managed to get me something like 3 of the 7 cases I ordered after exhausting their inventory on numerous attempts. They even tried overnight delivery to give UPS less time to break them which actually resulting in 0% success.

Ryan Brucks
06-28-2012, 2:01 PM
hey you... quit makin me more nervous :D im supposed to stay positive and use that energy to send positive vibes to all UPS peronsel......

Ryan Brucks
06-28-2012, 2:03 PM
maybe if I do a rain dance and sacrifice a few chickens the shipping gods will be pleased?

Brian Elfert
06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
I recently ordered six glass light shades from Wayfair. The first shipment three of six were broken. The second shipment two of three were broken. The third shipment I finally got the last two unbroken.

The worst part of the whole thing is Wayfair insisted on requiring a signature for each shipment even though my order including shipping was $22. I asked customer service to not require a signature, but they still did it anyhow.