PDA

View Full Version : metal spray? i ment thermal spray

curtis rosche
06-21-2012, 3:03 PM
has anyone ever turned a peice and then thermal sprayed it? im going to a local place to look into it and get a quote tommorow,,,,, im not sure how its will turn out on bowls and such, but i know they once in awhile do it to pine tables, and then get $7k for them in an NYC shop,,,

i had posted it as metal spray, i looked of one of the videos on youtube and its actually thermal spray.

Jeff Myroup
06-21-2012, 4:30 PM
I have never sprayed, but can't see how it would be much different than gilding. I would be interested in seeing the results.

curtis rosche
06-21-2012, 5:46 PM
im gonna take in a peice of wormy oak, and a peice of old growth pine, and a peice of burl and see how it comes out,,, hopefully its not to pricey, they said i would have to come in for a quote

Eric Holmquist
06-21-2012, 5:55 PM
Are they actually doing some sort of plating onto wood, or just applying a fine metal flake paint job

curtis rosche
06-21-2012, 6:13 PM
its a gun that feeds a metal wire into an arc, that is blown by compressed air, and literally spray molten metal onto the surface . there are multiple different metals that can be sprayed if i recall what i saw. and some of them can look pretty cool. and if only a thin layer is done at a time, it shows the grain of the wood through it apparently from what ive been told

Eric Holmquist
06-21-2012, 7:26 PM
I got curious and found several suppliers of the equipment, none list prices, so I suspect that this is a case if you have to know what it costs, you can't afford it

curtis rosche
06-21-2012, 8:57 PM
i beleive its one of those things thats normally only for industiral applications, but the local place i have been told once in awhile does arts things with it. my friend who works there looked into getting a gun for herself to do it at home,,, runs about $1500 for a small one, not counting consumable materials

curtis rosche
06-21-2012, 8:59 PM
ill let you know tommorow what the cost is, im hoping i can do a few pieces and sell them for enough to cover costs

Keith Outten
06-21-2012, 9:22 PM
Curtis,

I have used the Sculpt Nouveau metal spray on signs. Recently we sprayed a large Corian plaque with bronze metal, the results were very nice and the price seemed reasonable. They recommend a cheap HVLP spray gun that you can get from HF for about 15 bucks to spray their metal finishes.

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=42&category=6

Here is an excerpt from their web site:

The Metal Coatings are ground metal suspended in a non-toxic water based acrylic binder. They may be applied to both metal and non-metal surfaces such as glass, wood, ceramics, concrete, foam, and resin.

All of the Dye-Oxide Patinas, Universal Patinas, Vista Patinas, Solvent Dyes, Patina Stains, and Finishing Waxes work well with the Metal Coatings allowing endless possibilities for finishes. Among the Traditional Patinas, Liver of Sulfur (brown) and Tiffany (green) patinas work the best with the Metal Coatings.

The Metal Coatings are very durable outside (10 to 15 years) and are non-hazardous. One Gallon of Metal Coating will cover 100 square feet (this includes the recommended two layers).

The Metal Coatings are available in two different formulas - B and C. Patinas may be applied to both whether wet or dry. Once dry, either may be burnished with steel wool in order to highlight or adjust the patina. Additionally, more patina may be added after burnishing. Type C contains more metal than Type B and dries hard enough to be polished with a polishing wheel. Type C comes bundled with a catalyst and hardener.

When applying the Metal Coatings to ferrous metals (iron, steel, and aluminum), a primer must be used to protect the underlying metal.

There are several online instructional videos available detailing the application and use of the Metal Coatings.

Eric Holmquist
06-21-2012, 9:24 PM
The concept looks intriguing, with the right technique you can spray metal onto paper and not damage the paper!

curtis rosche
06-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Curtis,

I have used the Sculpt Nouveau metal spray on signs. Recently we sprayed a large Corian plaque with bronze metal, the results were very nice and the price seemed reasonable. They recommend a cheap HVLP spray gun that you can get from HF for about 15 bucks to spray their metal finishes.

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=42&category=6

Here is an excerpt from their web site:

The Metal Coatings are ground metal suspended in a non-toxic water based acrylic binder. They may be applied to both metal and non-metal surfaces such as glass, wood, ceramics, concrete, foam, and resin.

All of the Dye-Oxide Patinas, Universal Patinas, Vista Patinas, Solvent Dyes, Patina Stains, and Finishing Waxes work well with the Metal Coatings allowing endless possibilities for finishes. Among the Traditional Patinas, Liver of Sulfur (brown) and Tiffany (green) patinas work the best with the Metal Coatings.

The Metal Coatings are very durable outside (10 to 15 years) and are non-hazardous. One Gallon of Metal Coating will cover 100 square feet (this includes the recommended two layers).

The Metal Coatings are available in two different formulas - B and C. Patinas may be applied to both whether wet or dry. Once dry, either may be burnished with steel wool in order to highlight or adjust the patina. Additionally, more patina may be added after burnishing. Type C contains more metal than Type B and dries hard enough to be polished with a polishing wheel. Type C comes bundled with a catalyst and hardener.

When applying the Metal Coatings to ferrous metals (iron, steel, and aluminum), a primer must be used to protect the underlying metal.

There are several online instructional videos available detailing the application and use of the Metal Coatings.

wrong metal spray keith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIlErxrjlRg

its actually called thermal spray.... my bad

its literally a stream of hot molten metal.

Jim Underwood
06-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah... of course the Sculpt Nouveau product is great stuff, but it ain't cheap either Curtis. Check those prices and you'll see... Still, it might be cheaper than molten application.

curtis rosche
06-22-2012, 5:20 PM
i just got back from the shop. hes gonna give me an email when he decides on a price, but the molten spray, in either zinc, pewter, brass, bronze, copper, or a few other will run from $25 a peice to $50 is what he estimated. ill know for sure next week. not too bad if i can sell for over $100

Jeff Myroup
06-26-2012, 9:44 AM
Copper would be nice. You can then put a patina on it. I hope you do a couple pieces. I am really interested in seeing the result

curtis rosche
06-26-2012, 10:45 AM
as soon as i et a quote back i will have them done as soon as possible. i want to do a peice in pewter, one in copper, and there was one i was being told about that you can finish the metal to make it look rusted but its really not. but since its an industrial proccess, and my peices are a large income for them, im not high on the list to get it done soon