PDA

View Full Version : Spray-gun recommendatioons.

Mick Tuts
06-21-2012, 12:23 AM
As a rookie for my first post, I need some recommendations for selecting a spray gun for water-based finishes. I have an existing built-in air-compressor system (60 gal tank, 3 hp, 220v) in my home shop. My local vendor says that I can only get good results if I use solvent-based finishes???? For safety and environmental reasons I would like to use water-based finishes. Any suggestions?

Jamie Buxton
06-21-2012, 1:07 AM
Waterborne finishes are certainly safer to use, and have smaller impact on the environment. Two manufacturers with good reputations in the woodworking community are Target Coating and General Finishes. You pretty much have to buy Target directly from their web site. General Finishes is resold by many woodworking retailers -- for instance Woodcraft.

I really like HVLP guns. To go with your compressor, you're looking for ones that are called conversion guns. There's been a recent thread in this forum with recommendations about various models. Use the Search Forum box at the upper right of Project Finishing Forum to find many threads about guns and finishes.

Mick Tuts
06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks, I'll give the Search function a try. :)

John TenEyck
06-21-2012, 1:38 PM
I started spraying about 3 years ago. Like most folks who've never sprayed, I didn't know anything about what to buy. I read a lot and narrowed down the possiblities to an HVLP conversion gun to use with my compressor, which is about the same size as yours. But I couldn't decide which gun to buy. Do I spend a lot or a little? Finally, I went to a local auto paint supplier and talked with him. He convinced me to try his cheap chinese knockoff guns, told me they would spray beautifully for what I wanted to do, and promised to buy them back if they didn't. 3 guns cost me about $120 w/tax. I also bought a couple of in-line water/oil filters. The guns I bought look very much like those sold by Rockler, Woodcraft, Grizzly, and others.

I have sprayed WB acrylic paint with the 1.8 mm tip gun and shellac and WB topcoats with the 1.4 and 1.0 mm ones. The key to spraying any finish is to match the viscosity with your gun type and orifice. I found some very helpful guidelines on Jeff Jewitt's website and Homestead Finishing and they work for me and my guns. I bought a cheap #4 Ford viscosity cup from Highland Hardware for about $7 also, and some paper cone filters which I use every time I fill the gun. Note: Throw away those internal filters in the gun, especially if you are spraying heavy viscosity stuff - they cause more problems than they prevent. Also, I should mention that the guns I bought are not stainless steel, and not all the internal parts are plated or brass, yet I have had no corrosion problems after spraying WB products for 3 years. I don't spray everyday, but I have sprayed gallons of WB paint and topcoats. I clean the gun every day when I'm done and, after cleaning with soap and water, I spray about an ounce of alcohol through it to remove any residual water.

I've sprayed a lot of shellac and a lot of General Finishes Hi Perf. Poly, which I really like for how easily it sprays and how great it looks. I thin the Hi Perf. Poly 10% with water to give 45 seconds through a #4 Ford cup which is perfect for my 1.4 mm tipped gun. I'm going to use GF's Enduro Pre Cat Urethane and WB Lacquer as soon as get the right projects.

Because I only spray WB (and shellac) I can spray in my basement workshop in a temporary vented spray booth with no worry of explosion. I actually use my 1200 CFM dust collector fan to exhaust my spray booth to the outside, and it works great. I've had no problems with make-up air or my shop getting cold when spraying in the winter for extended periods of time.

Sorry this was a little long winded. My advise is to buy a modest priced gun to begin with unless you plan to use it every day and make your living with it. You don't need to spend a lot to get great results. Also, there is a learning curve, but it's not nearly as long as many would have you believe if you have reasonable eye/hand coordination. So take the plunge. You won't regret it.

Larry Browning
06-21-2012, 4:54 PM
I would suggest contacting Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing. He will be happy to fix you up with just what you need. He will ask you a few questions and give you a good recommendation. He did this for me, and I couldn't be happier. Jeff is a good honest guy, you won't go wrong with his suggestions.

Scott Holmes
06-21-2012, 11:41 PM
I second contacting Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing.

Jefferey Scott
06-22-2012, 1:56 PM
Mick, I too would recommend talking to Jeff Jewitt at Homestead. I was in the same boat as you and I called Jeff and he basically asked a few questions including what type of finishes I wanted to spray, what type of compressor I had and what price range I was looking to be in. He recommended a C.A. Technologies Jaguar SLP gun which looks like a really nice gun. I will be buying from him in the near future as the finishing stage of my kitchen cabinet project draws nearer. Give him a call!

Quinn McCarthy
06-22-2012, 2:44 PM
Another one for Jeff! I also have 2 of his books and they are both great. I have a Bink mach 1 slimline that I really like. Work great on all finishes.

Hope that helps and welcome to the creeek.

Q

David Hawxhurst
06-22-2012, 5:40 PM
i would consider calling spray gun world and talking with them. they're very knowledgeable about spray guns. jeff is not the only one that knows spray guns. my personal experience with jeff was not as favorable as others here are raving about. maybe i just caught him on an off day. i will still by product from him though.

Jon Middleton
06-24-2012, 5:13 PM
So, I have a smallish compressor, one of those 110V twin tank Senco models. If I want to get into spraying finish, will that work with a conversion gun or should I go with something like the Fuji turbine systems?

David Hawxhurst
06-24-2012, 6:09 PM
what is the duty cycle and cfm rating at 40 psi for the compressor? it maybe possible. spray gun world have so hvlp that require as little as 4-5 cfm guns. not to beat up on fuji (they do make good stuff) there are others out there for the same money. around here fuji seems to be quite popular, but others own lots of different ones like apollo, ca tech, wagner, etc.

Jon Middleton
06-24-2012, 7:07 PM
I know nothing about Fuji, I first saw it mentioned today. The 1.5HP Senco 2001 puts out 5.3CFM @ 40PSI, 4.3CFM @ 100PSI, and it says it has a pump time of 70 seconds and a recovery time of 15 seconds. Not sure what the duty cycle is.

If I go with a spray setup, I want a quality gun. Not interested in a cheap tool.

David Hawxhurst
06-24-2012, 8:26 PM
i would give spray gun world a call and talk to them. they have guns that will work with your compressor, you will have more gun choices this way. of course if you want your could get an hvlp turbine system if you wanted. a conversion gun or two will most likely cost you less than a turbine system.

Jon Middleton
06-24-2012, 9:44 PM
Thanks. I was thinking my compressor was too small to run a gun for furniture finishing. I know I'll need a water separator for it, I drain quite a bit out just during casual use.

David Hawxhurst
06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
they also sell filters for water and oil.