PDA

View Full Version : If it weren't for Bad luck, I would have No Luck at all- Epilog motherboard died

Larry Bratton
06-20-2012, 8:41 PM
Two months ago I replaced the tube on my Epilog Ext at a cost of $1200 bucks. Today, after cutting one file and everything going fine, turned around and noticed there was no display. Talked to Brian at Epilog tech support and he had us pull the left panel. The board had one light on it. The fans would run but the arms would not move on the boot up. Bad board..5 years old though...$995 bucks to replace. Not a happy day.

Steve Clarkson
06-20-2012, 10:29 PM
I feel your pain Larry.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
06-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Very sorry to hear Larrry.. double blow...

Kasey Maxwell
07-08-2012, 1:18 AM
good news is.......it's a tax write off !

Rodne Gold
07-08-2012, 3:27 AM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune , At that price , I would have my old board diagnosed and repaired , It can only be a component or 2 ..keep the fixed one as a spare?

Larry Bratton
07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Rodney,
Reply appreciated albeit a bit late. The new board from Epilog is in the machine. If you don't give them the old board back, it's another $400.00. Had I known there was an alternative I probably would have pursued it. I didn't realize that was an option.

Brad Bernhart
07-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Where can I get a mother board checked out and diagnosed/repaired? Mine still shows 4 red lights right next to eachother, but apparently there is still an issue with the board. Anyone have experience with any companies? Does Epilog repair boards or just replace?

Anthony Scira
07-08-2013, 11:26 PM
That is kind of disheartening. You have to pay 1000 dollars for a new board and have to send the old one back or pay another 400 ? I am thinking they are sending repaired boards out as new ones and that could be the reason they failed in a year. If that be the case that is not a good thing. Say it ain't so Epilog !

OTOH - it is a machine and am sure they do not have new boards for 10 year old machines laying around.

Brad Bernhart
07-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Anthony, the post with the $400 figure was from a year ago (exactly a year ago actually). Now it is $500 if you don't send the old one back!

Craig Matheny
07-09-2013, 12:35 AM
I think if you notice the new motherboard is different than the old one at least mine was they are making changes due to an area of the board that would get hot or the air did not circulate well I don't remember however mine was brand new

Hilton Lister
07-09-2013, 1:42 AM
Yep, Just had to replace the motherboard in my 60watt GCC Spirit. Cool $1500NZ plus Tax. Don't want the old one back. Awaiting new Motherboard for Summacut Vinyl cutter at the same price as well. Had to pay up front
for that! That had to go back to the local agent for repair. At least The GCC agent sent the board so I could install it myself. 3 steps forward and two back sometimes!!

Martin Boekers
07-10-2013, 10:25 AM
I have noticed that there have been issues with mother boards lately. Not an electrical sort, but is there a possibility that
the electricity coming into the shops may not be "clean". Is there a way to check the quality and consistency of power
coming in?

Larry Bratton
07-10-2013, 9:55 PM
Actually they sent me two in a very short time span. I'm not sure what happened to the first new one but I think it had to do with mistakenly removing the outer wrapper from the red dot pointer diode. Called them, had a new one the next day, no charge. That's why I like em!

Frank Corker
07-11-2013, 8:52 AM
Sorry to hear that Larry, exactly same thing with me, new tube followed soon after by the motherboard. Only difference is your parts are about half price of mine

Larry Bratton
07-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Old thread Frank. The machine has performed just fine for the last year.

Martin Boekers
07-11-2013, 1:25 PM
OK this isn't funny anymore...... Too many mother boards going down lately..... It must be contagious as mine went out yesterday,
along with a Y Axis motor. (never replaced a Y before) $1900 total with a core refund of $400 after they get the old board back....

Sooooo much for a good month.... :(

Frank Corker
07-11-2013, 7:25 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit rusty :)

Brad Bernhart
07-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Interestingly enough, I had some issues with the control panel in my clothes washer also over the course of the last month... and blew out a mother board in a washer in a rental property that my wife and I own just a month ago. I'm having the power company here put a meter on the incoming power supply to my house (where the laser is) and they will can map the voltage etc over the course of days. This will either identify or at least eliminate one possibility. I am not running this machine with a UPS yet, but plan to get one.

Anyone here keep up on astronomical events? Have there been some big solar flares or something lately? It's a stretch, but who knows...