PDA

View Full Version : Question on finishing spindle turnings...

Jeff Yates
06-20-2012, 3:42 PM
Ok, so as I am rolling through this journey called wood turning, I have found one thing I need to figure out how to do better...

Finishing spindles...be they bottle stoppers, pens, etc..etc...

Right now I'm using wipe on poly, problem is...time. Takes a while for each layer of poly to cure, and I typically put 3-6 coats on each.

So is there a quicker way to put a nice finish on these turnings that won't tie up my lathe for hours at a time? I see different friction wax finishes, but I don't know how well they will hold up to wear and tear that items that get handled often seem to be exposed to.

Suggestions?

Scott Lux
06-20-2012, 4:09 PM
I'm a big fan of CA (superglue) for finishing pens, stoppers, and other small items. Actually, I'm not, but my customers are. I prefer for wood to feel like wood. But a CA finish is fast and durable. There is some learning curve, but it's not too bad. There are many videos and articles online detailing the various methods.

Jeff Yates
06-20-2012, 4:46 PM
Thank you Scott...

I'm not a huge fan of the CA finishes myself...haven't found a way to truly make them work is a large problem...I may go pick some up at *gulp* Woodcraft this weekend and see.

And I know there are video's galore...for instance...Shellack, how well does it hold up for daily handled items? Or is it just for sitting on the shelf and looking pretty...

Kyle Iwamoto
06-20-2012, 5:43 PM
Okay, I am NOT saying this is the best finish. I like it only because it is FAST. If you're intent is sale, or building up your quality image for future sales, I'd not do this.

The fastest finish I have found is the 2 step HUT PPP wax sticks. I put 1 primer and 2 finish coats. This alone is not very durable, nor "nice" since the wax does not penetrate into the grain very much. I do like it because it makes the pen/stopper feel nice. I follow with a liquid friction polish, whatever you may decide to pick up. I use the HUT Crystal coat. The liquid alone does not feel "good", so both of those to me feels and looks OKAY. I'm not necessarily a HUT fan, it's just what is available at the local Woodcraft store. I've tried other liquids, I like the HUT. Hmm. I must be a fan then... I've also followed the PPP with tung oil, Watco, Danish oil, WOP etc. which also works well, but the oils do take time to dry. I use this method when I have a bunch of little things to give away as party favors etc. When people get things for "free" they tend to not complain.

No experience with the Woodturners Finish, which does seem to be the new rage.

Roger Chandler
06-20-2012, 6:33 PM
Well, if you are looking for fast and a nice finish try this.........pop the grain first with shellac and then apply General Finishes Wood Turners Finish. You can re-apply coats in two or three minutes, depending on temp and humidity.........it also builds to a nice shine if you would like.................I like the stuff better than wipe on poly because of its drying properties.

Marvin Hasenak
06-20-2012, 7:51 PM
I use spar varnish, not a fast finish but a very durable finish that will hold up to hard use. If you make up a dozen or more at one time, applying spar varnish is fairly easy and not that time consuming. I have a rack that has 2 dozen 1/4" dowels on it, I apply the spar, and sit it on the rack, when all are coated, I sit in my drying cabinet to keep the dust off of them. Then a buff and a wax.

I cannot understand putting a quick finish on something that can be put to hard use. The wine stoppers I sell go to people that use them, a bad finish and they will soon be cruddy looking.

Michelle Rich
06-21-2012, 8:25 AM
lacquer is faster..you can dip your pieces in it..hang on a line to drip dry..then your lathe is not tied up

Bernie Weishapl
06-21-2012, 9:59 AM
I use Woodturners Finish and can do a bottle stopper or pen in about 30 minutes totally finished. I put on several coats and with the aid of a hair dryer on low heat can put 5 or 6 coats on in 15 minutes or so. I have a pen I use everyday that I finished with it and it is holding up really well.