PDA

View Full Version : am i the only one?

Chris Rolke
06-20-2012, 1:24 PM
i started working on a new piece

i had a lot of time in trying to figure out how to do this new idea that i finally had the nerver to try

(it is a multi-dimensional lamination )

working on it last night and got too far down in to he bottom of it
had a catch and it exploded across the shop

so me being me i found all of the missing parts and got the glue bottle out and started putting it back together
it will be far from perfect but i want the first piece of this to survive

just curious if you guys do things like this as well?

Norm Zax
06-20-2012, 1:29 PM
I do the same ... usually, but its a mistake. 75% of the time the result will be lacking. As I see it, there are two possible situations:
If you turn a lot, you will replace the piece quickly by restarting. If you turn much less than you'd like to (insert "like me"), you might as well spend your time on worthwhile pieces.
The wood you use is a similar issue - its usually better to start with good wood as "saving a piece" is in fact spending valuable time on a piece with lower chances of going all the way.
Some may disagree.

Steve Schlumpf
06-20-2012, 1:46 PM
Nope... don't do glue-ups! Unfortunate this happened but looks like you saved it. Looking forward to seeing the piece once finished. Very interesting pattern/design!

Eric Gourieux
06-20-2012, 3:18 PM
I haven't glued up a broken piece, although I have rough turned a piece and spent some time trying to manipulate the warping and cracking.

Bill Wyko
06-20-2012, 3:25 PM
I've blown up segmented turnings that I still haven't found all the pieces from. I hope you are wearing a face shield and not just safety glasses. SG's won't stop a broken jaw. Turn often but turn safely.

Chris Rolke
06-20-2012, 4:31 PM
I've blown up segmented turnings that I still haven't found all the pieces from. I hope you are wearing a face shield and not just safety glasses. SG's won't stop a broken jaw. Turn often but turn safely.

actually when this happened i was hollowing from the side totally out of the way

(the better thing with it was my shop is shared with my 1968 camaro and that was outside at the time it happened )

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2012, 6:27 PM
Nope you aren't the only one. If they blow they go in the trash can.

Paul Williams
06-20-2012, 9:36 PM
I've glued two back together. One was a piece of wood that was significant to my son. The other was a prototype and it didn't matter if it came out perfect. I learned enough to make the next one better. In addition to those two that were actually blown up I have used minor amounts of glue for the occasional design opportunity or save as i am sure we all have.

Chris Rolke
06-21-2012, 8:42 AM
well here is the final piece

i have nicknamed it humpty

i think it turned out pretty good

Phil Labowski
06-23-2012, 5:51 AM
Wow Chris, that is incredible!