PDA

View Full Version : Recently Completed Projects

Roger Barga
04-05-2005, 1:58 AM
Attached (hopefully) are photos of two recently completed projects and one that is still in progress. This was a victory of sorts for me, since moving to our new (to us) house several months back I lost my shop space and with a new baby in the house I haven't had time to make the necessary upgrades to the garage. So I have been improvising, using basement space and wherever I work to fit in some woodworking. This summer I will hopefully find time and $$$ to get the adequate electricity and storage in the garage so I can once again have shop space.

The first project is a bench for our living room. I created a pattern from mdf for the legs, rough cut each on the bandsaw and then pattern routed using the template. The maple "shoes" on each leg were shaped using a sanding belt. The rails (supports) are made from figured maple and joined to the legs with M&T. The top is solid cherry with a leather upholstered cushion - this was a first for me and I learned quite a bit doing it. The finish is four coats of BLO, buffed out and then a coat of was was applied.

The second project is a game board made using marquetry and veneering. One side is a chess and checker board made from birds-eye maple and walnut burl veneer, with an inlay strip and madrone burl border. The flip-side is a serving tray with a marquetry pattern on walnut burl.

The last photo is the top for a box, next to some quilted maple which will be the body of the box, which was supposed to be my wife's christmas present, then her birthday present (January) and then a valentine's day present. I think she's given up on it so I will just suprise her when its finally done.

Thanks for looking,
Roger

Dan Forman
04-05-2005, 2:14 AM
Elegant design and great execution. Lovely work.

Dan

Alan Turner
04-05-2005, 5:38 AM
Very nice indeed.

Ken Shoemaker
04-05-2005, 9:05 AM
I am thrilled to see such fine work... Well Done!!!!!!!

lou sansone
04-05-2005, 9:09 AM
excellent job. I think that something was missing in your discription on the finish,

"The finish is four coats of BLO, buffed out and then a coat of was was applied." What is the "was" in this sentence?

thanks lou

Mark Singer
04-05-2005, 9:28 AM
Beautiful work! Great designs....love it! Probably paste "was"

Jim Becker
04-05-2005, 10:00 AM
OUTSTANDING, Roger! I love all three projects, especially the bench. Sharp design and great execution.

Dan Gill
04-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Your work is really beautiful, but I have to agree with Jim - that bench is awesome.

Lou Morrissette
04-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Roger,

All of your work is absolutely beautiful. I'm particularly drawn to your skills in marquetry. The design and execution are realy a work of art. Thanks for sharing.

Lou

Roger Myers
04-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Excellent work, and that box is certainly worth waiting for. I love the marquetry and the way the design expands past the inlay border! Beautiful!!
Roger

Jeff Sudmeier
04-05-2005, 11:07 AM
This is some great work! If you are doing work this good with a limited shop, I want to see it when you get your shop set up! :)

Mike Vermeil
04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Awesome Roger! I love the design & execution of the bench. If you can get that much done with a new baby & a move, you're a better man that I!

Mark Stutz
04-05-2005, 1:14 PM
Beautiful work! Marquetry is on my list of things to one day try. Do you resaw your own veneers? Do you use a scroll saw?

Mark

Todd Burch
04-05-2005, 9:02 PM
Roger - they all look fantastic!! I'm with Roger - I like the way the inlays creep outside of the their box. - ala "Bob Ross" style (the guy with the 'fro who oil painted on PBS). Todd

Corey Hallagan
04-05-2005, 9:38 PM
Wow, nice work! Three great looking projects.
Corey

Roy Wall
04-05-2005, 9:50 PM
Roger,

THose are nice - your are very talented!!! Congrats TOO on the new baby!!:)

John Renzetti
04-06-2005, 5:36 AM
Hi Roger, Very nice work. I really like the design and use of grain on the bench. Good job, thanks for posting the pictures.
take care,
John

Roger Barga
04-07-2005, 1:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your generous comments. I really enjoy participating in such a great community of woodworkers and the rare opportunity to share photos of completed projects.

Roger

The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson