PDA

View Full Version : Polished Concrete to carpet transition

Brian Kent
06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Our church is considering moving to a combination of polished concrete (at the entryway and under seating areas) and carpet (on the aisles and front).

I do not want to set up a tripping area. What is the best way to make the transition between polished concrete and carpet?

Thanks, experts.

Brian Kent

Brian Kent
06-19-2012, 11:33 PM
I am in the Trustee meeting and we are deciding to check on the same contractor as we have used in a recent major project. Therefore I am still interested in your knowledge, but will also rely on an excellent contractor's knowledge and experience.

Thanks

Brian

Shawn Pixley
06-20-2012, 1:06 AM
There is a transition edge that is typically used. It doesn't present much of a trip hazard. It doesn't present as much trip hazard as the door threshold.

ray hampton
06-20-2012, 3:00 AM
the best person to answer this question will be your insurance agent or the building inspector

Rich Engelhardt
06-20-2012, 7:02 AM
There is a transition edge that is typically used.
+1

Get a good one though. The ones that Lowes carries ain't all that great.

The carpet installer should be able to furnish a good one in the proper length.

Kevin Bourque
06-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Flooring contractors commonly use a transition piece that gets attached to the concrete with nails or screws, and then gets "rubber hammered" down over the carpet. You won't find anything smoother.

Belinda Barfield
06-20-2012, 10:48 AM
A bit different but when we had a tile enrtyway transition to carpet in our old showroom we used a rubber transition strip. We never had anyone trip.

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/transition-strips.html

Steve Meliza
06-20-2012, 12:26 PM
No matter how you do it, you'll have a 1/4" to 3/8" change of height in several locations. Think of the elderly and users of walkers that will have to navigate several of these transitions just to take their seat, to say nothing of trips to the restroom or milling about socializing. If this is just a cost savings idea I'd say it was a very bad one. I know money is often tight, but creating a navigation hazard for the less able and stable among us is a broken hip and concussion waiting to happen.

Bob Lloyd
06-20-2012, 6:16 PM
I have used something similar to what Kevin described. It was an aluminum channel that was fixed to the concrete with a vinyl piece that was then hammered into the track with a rubber mallet. I used it to transition from vinyl tile to carpet tile in a pre school. It is a nice smooth transition,and I have never heard of any trips caused by it. I got it from the Flooring store that supplied the rest of the flooring.