PDA

View Full Version : Drill press motor smoking!

Doug W Swanson
06-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Hey all,
I've got my grandpa's old Delta Homecraft drill press in my shop and it's been smoking lately. It started smoking a little bit the last time I used it but today it smoked quite a bit as soon as I started it. Does this mean the motor is toast or can it be saved?

Since the drill press has a lot of sentimental value, I'd rather replace the motor than replace the whole drill press. It should be an easy job but is there something easy I should check first?

TIA

Van Huskey
06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Before you replace it have you tried cleaning it out? It is probably an open motor and full of dust and/or chips, this MAY be your issue.

John Coloccia
06-19-2012, 10:51 PM
I would probably just replace the motor, but if you really want to diagnose it:

1) remove belts
2) spin motor by hand

Wobbly shaft or scrunch scrape scrunch scrape? At a minimum, a bearing or two is bad.

Does the motor have a start winding? Did it used to make a click sounding slowing down that it doesn't make anymore? Centrifigul switch could be bad.

Is the smoke coming from the belts? After a while, you learn to recognize the different smells. Rubber smoking, wire insulation smoking, grease/dust/bad bearing, internal lacquer smoking from the coil wire insulation, etc.

When all is said and done, though, unless you really just love that motor, if it ends up being a dead motor it would probably make sense to just replace it.

Sid Matheny
06-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Smoking is not good for you or the drill press! :eek: Try cleaning it out and since it has sentimental value if the motor is bad I would have the motor rebuilt if possible.

Sid

Rick Fisher
06-20-2012, 3:11 AM
There is a limited amount of factory installed smoke in a motor ..

I would take it to a repair shop before it gives up the ghost..

Ryan Wood
06-20-2012, 6:19 AM
you have to be careful you dont want to let the magic smoke get out. Just a thought but did your granpa ever use the drill press for alot of drilling into metal? reasond that I ask is because i think that there could be a change thet if he drilled a lot of metal some of the oil could of made its way onto the moter and the smake you are seeing is the oil burning off.

Troy Turner
06-20-2012, 8:00 AM
Like others have said..take it apart and give it a cleaning. If it's still smoking, take it down to a shop and have them take a look at it. Could be a frayed wire or something about to go out. Long as it's something simple, let them do their magic and you'll be back in business.

Doug W Swanson
06-20-2012, 8:32 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll have to take it apart, clean it and see if that helps. Hopefully it does!

Ryan Wood
06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
What i do when I have to take somthing like that apart is take a picture or two of were every thing goes so it is easer to pt back together.

Myk Rian
06-20-2012, 2:35 PM
Blow it out and try it again.
If it still smokes, look on OWWM BOYD for one. They come up quite often.

EDIT:
If it is toast, a motor shop will cost more than it's worth.
Selling it for parts can always be done. Especially if the badge on it is in good shape.

Check the start contacts and capacitor. It may be something as simple as those.

Ole Anderson
06-21-2012, 9:17 AM
Looks like a good excuse to slap a 3 hp motor in that baby. Don't all cool tools have at least a 3 hp motor? :D

David Hostetler
06-21-2012, 10:50 AM
If I were blessed enough to have my Grandfathers drill press, I would have that motor looked at (I admit, I am no good with electric motors). First things first though... Chances are good that's an open motor. It would be packed with sawdust which could be causing the problem. Try cleaning it first... If that doesn't work, THEN take it in to a motor shop (take it off the drill press and just take the motor.) and get it rebuilt...

New drill presses are pretty to look at, but using your grandfathers, and your fathers tools connects you to family history like nothing else...

Myk Rian
06-21-2012, 11:26 AM
And if you do take it to a motor shop, tell them to NOT paint it.

Myk Rian
06-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Looks like a good excuse to slap a 3 hp motor in that baby. Don't all cool tools have at least a 3 hp motor? :D
No, they don't. 1/2hp is plenty for that DP.

Ole Anderson
06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
No, they don't. 1/2hp is plenty for that DP.

:D=just kidding...

AL Ursich
06-21-2012, 1:47 PM
The Start Capacitor could be going bad and causing the heat. Motors have windings of copper wire coated to prevent shorting. Over the years the wires and motor vibrate and what may have started out to be a 100 winding coil because of a set of wires rubbing together are now a 75 winding coil due to a short circuit. A Good cleaning may be in order. The Sentimental Value makes it worth taking to a Motor Rewind Shop for Evaluation. Don't let it burn your shop down..... Get it checked out.

Good Luck,

AL

Van Huskey
06-21-2012, 2:22 PM

I agree with YOU Ole... :D but just not for his sentimental press.

Larry Edgerton
06-21-2012, 8:17 PM
I caught my bandsaw having a smoke the other day.............

Larry

Ryan Wood
06-23-2012, 9:34 AM
So did you take the motor apart yet and find out what was wrong with it?