PDA

View Full Version : Xacta Fence rails....Need shorter rails

Jon Lanier
06-19-2012, 6:39 PM
I have contractor Jet with cast iron wings. 52" or 54" rails. We moved and the new shop cannot accommodate that length. Where can I buy shorter rails? I am not in need of a fence, just short rails. I got on the net and it just keeps giving me saws to buy.

Thad McCulloch
06-19-2012, 7:04 PM
Hacksaw???

glenn bradley
06-19-2012, 7:39 PM
Yep, just cut 'em off.

Matt Winterowd
06-19-2012, 7:45 PM
You can buy them from Southern Tool or Osolnik Machinery online. Or your local Woodcraft can look them up and order them. They will be drop shipped from Jet wherever you buy them from. But I agree with these guys, I'd just cut them down and save the money.

Ryan Wood
06-19-2012, 9:11 PM
I would just take a angle grinder to themand cut them down to the size you nee. No point spending money if you dont have to.

Matt Meiser
06-19-2012, 9:14 PM
I knew your new location sounded familiar but I had to map it to see why. I get down to Columbus (Newark actually) pretty often for work and go right by your exit.

If you are opposed to cutting them, contact Woodwerks in Columbus--bet they can get them for you. If you haven't been, its a MUST. Go to the one on Taylor Station, not the one by Polaris which is essentially a Woodwerks Express. Still cool, but not like the main store. Then again Polaris is 20 minutes closer.

Or post a "want to trade" ad. Columbus/Dayton/Cincinnati seems to have a pretty good number of woodworkers.

Jon Lanier
06-21-2012, 1:58 AM
Thanks guys. Cutting does seem to be the only option.

Ole Anderson
06-21-2012, 9:13 AM
Sawzall would be quicker than a hacksaw and less sparks in a sawdust environment than a grinder. Not that that stops me from using my 3 hp Kalamazoo 10" cutoff saw in the shop. Just don't wear sandals if you go the grinder route, don't ask.

John Coloccia
06-21-2012, 9:18 AM
Just to lend more support, very common mod people do. Cut'em.

Stan Krupowies
06-21-2012, 9:50 AM
I just did that with my Delta cabinet saw and 52" Biesemeyer fence. Took a sawzall to the rails and cut the wing down and all is good. After cutting the rails I filed them smooth and put a coat of paint on them to prevent rust.

Mike Cutler
06-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Jon

I cut the rails on my jet Xacta fence many years ago. In fact that saw is set up for crosscuts only and is the extension tables for my General. I think the fence is in the corner of the shop right now.
I understand if you don't want to cut the rails. An alternative would be to just buy some 1" and 2" metal L-stock and some box stock and make your own rails. There's no real precision involved.