PDA

View Full Version : On the way from work this morning....

steven c newman
06-19-2012, 6:00 PM
Stopped at a"former" Garage sale site. Last Saturday, they had three planes for sale. Today, I stopped by to see IF they were still around. Hmmm, "Would you take $60 for them?" "Yep!"

So, I loaded up three old planes in a cardboard box and drove on home, been a LONG and busy day. 12 hour shift, fourth in a row, then a 15 mile drive home. Oh, the planes???234896#1) Stanley Sweetheart S4,:eek:234897Stanley Bedrock 606, with a sweetheart iron, and a smooth bottom. Tote needs some repair, though...:eek:234898a "No-Name" #5. Frog says Union, but the iron has a big Diamond stamped into it. Lateral is a tight "V" shape. Think I spent too much????:D

steven c newman
06-19-2012, 6:34 PM
Mystery Jack plane: What maker stamped a large diamond on their irons? Iron is 2" wide, large hole at the top. lateral has a "V" shape to it. Base is 13.5" long. Plain brass for the adjustor wheel. No frog adjusting screw. Lever cap has a "2" stamped into it. A Union DE 5???? Lever cap is otherwise plain-jane. Someone before me got crazy with the Rustoleum Gloss Black. Front knob is a "high" knob. Brass bolts for the handles. Mystery plane....

David Turner
06-19-2012, 6:43 PM
You did just fine. My 22 year old Stanley Tools Book (1990) lists the S4 at $75-$125. The 606 is probably worth another $75-$100 with the broken tote. The no name has a "Diamond Edge" blade with a Union frog so it may be a frankenplane.

David Turner
Plymouth, Mi.

James Taglienti
06-19-2012, 8:02 PM
Nice to see you snagging a bed rock!

David Weaver
06-19-2012, 8:40 PM
Now you're making hay, steven! That's a good buy on quality planes.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2012, 9:04 PM
Pretty nice haul.

Price is all subjective. My brother buys things he thinks he paid to much. Then he sells them at a profit to someone who is going to turn around and sell them.

Just keep on keeping on. Soon you will run out of room for all of these planes and you will likely make money off them that you can then use to buy more. :D

jtk