PDA

View Full Version : A big one - Box Elder Burl/ Walnut Lidded Box

Roger Chandler
06-19-2012, 4:36 PM
We have a meeting this evening of one of the clubs I belong to......gotta have something for "show & tell" so I made another box and helped in prepping for my demo at the other one July 7th.

This one is large ..........I had a piece of box elder burl and thought I would get something made before it got so punky it turned to sawdust on its own........some chip out on this, but still its pretty.

size is approximately 6 inches wide and 5 inches tall at the knob. Finished just minutes ago with WTF. Trust me ......it looks better in person than in the pics! Comments are always welcome!

John M. Smith
06-19-2012, 4:53 PM
Looks nice Roger. I really like the grain on the box elder.

charlie knighton
06-19-2012, 5:34 PM
very nice Roger, pretty wood and boxes are always sought

Mike Golka
06-19-2012, 6:36 PM
Looks very nice Roger. Well done

John Kent
06-19-2012, 7:10 PM
That box elder is very nice, walnut looks great with it. I think the beads really make the whole box stand out. That WTF is some great stuff.

Rich Aldrich
06-19-2012, 9:16 PM
Roger - nice work. I like the contrast and the form. Nice color coordination.

Bernie Weishapl
06-19-2012, 9:24 PM
Great combo Roger and a nice form.

Roger Chandler
06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks everyone...................much appreciated! Seemed to go over very well at the "show & tell" at tonight's meeting of CVW.........lot of compliments on it.

Steve Schlumpf
06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Beautiful wood! Really nice size for use as a lidded candy dish! Glad to hear it received good reviews at your club meeting!

Roger Chandler
06-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Beautiful wood! Really nice size for use as a lidded candy dish! Glad to hear it received good reviews at your club meeting!

Wonder how many peanut M & M's it will hold? Might have to find the answer to that question...........thanks Steve!

Kathy Marshall
06-20-2012, 2:56 AM
Nice box Roger! The wood combo looks great and I bet it would hold alot of peanut M&Ms!

Roland Martin
06-20-2012, 7:16 AM
The "Box Man" strikes again!:) That's a very nice piece of box elder, Roger and a great looking turning. Very nice work!

Roger Chandler
06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
The "Box Man" strikes again!:) That's a very nice piece of box elder, Roger and a great looking turning. Very nice work!

Thank you Sir! I don't think I deserve the title "Box Man" quite yet, Roland........maybe Richard Raffan, Mike Stafford or someone else, but at least I'm gaining on 'em! :rolleyes::D;)

Roger Chandler
06-20-2012, 9:07 PM
I forgot to mention something about the finish process on this...........to help pop the grain, I actually wet sanded the burl with some antique oil on the 320 and 400 grit. That antique oil helped give a little amber on the burl and made it come alive, then 2 coats of shellac, and then the WTF.

The reason I posted this is because I had a friend last evening who brought a bowl of box elder burl, and he put shellac on it and wipe on poly............his was a lot more washed out [blonde] in color. I think the antique oil really helped with the color of the grain, and the wet sanding helped smooth the pores a bit as well.

I have had a few questions on the finish, so I figured I had better update this a little.........sorry I forgot the first go round!