PDA

View Full Version : LC1290 is on the truck and due to be delivered in about an hour!!

Phil Horne
06-19-2012, 1:31 PM
Im super excited but wanted to warn all you wonderful folks that Ill probably be asking a ton of questions soon ;-)

Phil

Bruce Boone
06-19-2012, 1:51 PM
Take pictures!

Mike Null
06-19-2012, 2:47 PM
Phil

Congratulations! Happy lasering!

Phil Horne
06-19-2012, 3:28 PM
Its here and off the truck.. Going through it and making sure all is there, and taking lots of pictures!!!

Phil Horne
06-19-2012, 3:58 PM

A few pics for you guys and some recommendations. (pardon the poor quality of the pics I forgot to change the white ballance on the camera before taking them)

1. For a laser this big you really want to have a fork lift. Also make sure you have a fork lift with long forks. It was a pain to get this guy off the truck.
2. Be prepared with lots of paper towels/shop rags because the laser and some of the other parts are covered with a film of oil.

More will be forthcoming as I get deeper into setting everything up.. The next step is getting the laser off of the bottom of the shipping crate.

Phil

Douglas J Miller
06-19-2012, 5:39 PM
Nice!!!!

Already see one problem with it, it's not in MY shop. LOL

Hope the the setup goes fast and smooth for you!

Craig Matheny
06-19-2012, 6:23 PM
Oh Yeah and to get it off the pallet don't just push it off it could get damaged, just a little gas and light the wood and the laser will eventually be on the floor for you to roll it. Looks great congrats and enjoy.

Bruce Dorworth
06-19-2012, 6:49 PM
Phil, I look forward to your comments. I have the same laser coming in a few days.

Bruce

Phil Horne
06-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Its setup now and Im trying to align the laser and that is a bit of a pain.. I also just swapped the lens to the 50.8mm lens.. this thing is loud!!!!

Some other things of note. The attachment for the vacum hose on the unit itself is less than Idealy located.. It was a painto get the thing on and in the process I got grease from the motorized Z table gears. It also makes the tube a bit short so the blower barely makes it to the side of the machine.. There are also foot prints all over the inside of the machine where parts were walked on before assembly. Well its back to trying to get the mirrors aligned for a little bit then off to bed so I can get up early and go at it again.

Phil

Bruce Dorworth
06-20-2012, 3:11 AM
Phil, you are not making me feel good right now. My machine should be here this weekend. You said it was real loud. What is loud? The air exhaust????????? I was told that they aligned everything and the took out the laser. All I would have to do is re-install the laser then spot check alignment.

Bruce

James Tan
06-20-2012, 4:06 AM
Looking forward to see more pictures! As i am also on the verge of getting another similar size laser.

Rodne Gold
06-20-2012, 4:45 AM
The laser itself isn't noisy , its the air assist compressor and blower that are....
Alignment can go out with transport , moving and handling , it's only a little bit of a mission the first time you have to align , gets easier with practice. We align all our lasers periodically , not just our chinese ones. You have to accept a little less than a perfect product at the price .. there might be small niggles and workarounds involved but in general , the product does the job..
Anyway , good luck with the new baby, I'm sure you will have overlooked any teething troubles once you in production.

john banks
06-20-2012, 5:06 AM
Consider relocating your air assist compressor and extraction if your setup/neighbours allow/tolerate. Doing this changed a setup where we should have been wearing ear defenders to one where you can talk on the phone whilst watching a piece cut, remaining noise is mainly the chiller when it kicks in and the actual sound of the compressed air if we run it high for cutting wood.

Phil Horne
06-20-2012, 9:47 AM
Phil, you are not making me feel good right now. My machine should be here this weekend. You said it was real loud. What is loud? The air exhaust????????? I was told that they aligned everything and the took out the laser. All I would have to do is re-install the laser then spot check alignment.

Bruce

Its the blower and the little compressor which are loud, the laser itself is fairly quiet. Maybe Ill take a little video today while Im mucking about trying to get the thing aligned. Over all Im not the least bit disappointed. Its just going to take a little getting used to the lack of the nice little features Im used to having with the epilog lasers.

I think there are going to be quite a few modifications that I do to really dial this thing in to where I want it. One of the major ones is swapping out the DSP and Controller for one of these:
http://www.lightobject.com/Commerical-DSP-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutter-Controller-Support-CorelDraw-AutoCad-P321.aspx?afid=1
Although Im still not totally sure IM going to do that and if I do its going to be after I have played with the current DSP and controller quite a bit.

Speaking of which can anyone recommend a good website that covers getting these darn mirrors aligned? Ill be headed into the warehouse shortly to give it another go.

Phil

jason harris
06-21-2012, 5:51 AM
Good luck with it Phil, I am extremely happy with my 1512 I got from them. Yes, the blower is reasonably loud but thats the same with all of them, things that move a lot of air usually have that noise. You could try using some different hose. I got the silver hose like is used with air conditioning, I am sure most of the noise is from the airflow through that. If I was pushing it through my dust collection hose I dont think it would be that loud.

If you have an aircompressor that could make things better. I plugged in the little compressor they sent me and it's prettty much like any other continuously running compressor with no tank. It's loud. I plugged in my workshop compressor which is only a few metres away and it's great - until it turns on and that 10HP motor starts doing its thing :)

Mine was aligned well enough that I didnt have to tweak it too much although all mirrors got a bit of a nudge to determine if improvements could be made.

I guess I am lucky not having a background with lasers but with other CNC machines. The processes are second nature to me so I may have got lucky there.

Jason

Phil Horne
06-21-2012, 9:55 AM
Thanks for all the tips everybody.. Unfortunately Im headed to Belize until the 5th so I probably wont have a lot of time to get it dialed in until I get back on the 5th..

Phil