PDA

View Full Version : Portal

charlie knighton
06-19-2012, 10:43 AM
about 13 x 15

petroglyphs on multi-axis wallhanging

Jerry Marcantel
06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Finally, I've managed to interpret one of your symbols, Charlie. The door depicted is a representation of a doorway in Montezuma's Castle in the Verde Valley, as well as other ruins all over Arizona....... Now, I need an explanation of all the other glyphs.... Well done....... Jerry (in Tucson)

charlie knighton
06-19-2012, 1:56 PM
The door depicted is a representation of a doorway in Montezuma's Castle

yes and no, Jerry

the door is depiction of a recess in solid stone somewhere in the southwest. i saw it the other night on the history channel. (if anyone else saw the show or knows where the recess is , let us know) the spiral represents the cosmos. the petroglyph in the circle is a shaman.. the legend goes a shaman went to the portal and was never seen again. the shaman in the circle means the shaman is in another demension. Kokopelli is playing his flute in front of the portal. the hand print is a common petroglyph meaning i am man, or like Kilroy's sign, i was here first. it also can be used as a signature. if the background of the hand was red, it would mean war. many doors in struckters have this type of shape.

lower left: the blue dot is actually a blue post. the petroglyph with the teeth is either a wolf or a coyote.. if a wolf it has creation meanings. if coyote it means mischief or evel. the square within a square means shrine....so either creation shrine or shrine to ward off evill.

lower right: the elongated bell petroglyph is a spirit. the barbell petroglyph means conferance or council. the rays on the ends of the barbell depict the number of speakers at the council. the botton petroglyph is friendship. so....spirit counil of frienship

the portal is a real place...i have added the other holy places

the knots under the bottom corner will/ or will not have meaning to you.....i use to watch clouds when i was a younger, today they show you ink blots, what do you see in the knots?????

Bernie Weishapl
06-19-2012, 9:32 PM
Well done Charlie.

Steve Schlumpf
06-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Usually when I see these I have no concept of what it is you are trying to portray. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the imagination and effort that went into the piece but I usually only saw the wood and pyro work. Your detailed explanation clears things up and gives the work meaning. Thanks! Just takes a little education on my part to be able to appreciate the art in addition to the wood and pyro work!

Tim Rinehart
06-20-2012, 8:13 AM
thanks for the interpretation...goes a long way toward appreciation of these pieces!