PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Olympia

Jim Koepke
06-18-2012, 10:15 PM
We went up to Olympia today and made a side trip through some antique shops.

Both are shops with multiple booths. These can be fun because things are always changing.

The first one almost got a bit more of my money than usual. There was a Craftsman badged Millers Falls #14 plane at $15 that had me looking and shaking my head. If I didn't already have too many Stanley Jacks it might of come home with us. There were a lot of other planes there. There was a Stanley #3 at $30. It looks like it might have a slight crack at the side of the mouth and the depth adjuster seems stuck as I recall, a few molding planes and other items. Another that caught my eye was a #7 priced at $75. The depth adjuster on that one also seems to have a bit of a problem.

That booth had a locked cabinet with more tools. I spotted a hollow auger but the tag was upside down. It always seems to be that way. Anyway one of the people in the store opened it and the price was $35. Asked if there was any discounts for being old or funny looking and she said she could drop 10%.

Another shop up the street has one vendor that rehabs tools and has them on display upstairs. Most of the planes look nice but are more than I would pay. There were a few that looked somewhat reasonable and I did purchase a couple of gouges last time I was there. There were a few nice molding planes and a moving filletster. In a locked case is a fairly nice selection of chisels and gouges. Most of them are already in my accumulation so didn't buy any today.

Here is the hollow auger and my first attempt at putting it to work:

The two gouges were what was picked up last time.

jtk

James Taglienti
06-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Nice gouges!
I think a hollow auger works best with a spoke pointer to get it started ... If you find a way around it please let me know!

Jim Koepke
06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Nice gouges!
I think a hollow auger works best with a spoke pointer to get it started ... If you find a way around it please let me know!

I trimmed the end with a chisel to fit inside to get it started.

The cutter is cutting the end grain and just keeps shaving it down in a circle. I didn't quite understand how these worked until using it.

This one actually has an adjuster on the blade which seems to help set it up and get it working smoothly.

This one is a Sterns patent 1900. It has a size scale along one of the plates with an indicator on the other. Looks like it will do from 1/4" to 1-1/4".

jtk

jamie shard
06-19-2012, 9:26 AM
Asked if there was any discounts for being old or funny looking..."

Genius haggling manouever! :)

Bill White
06-19-2012, 11:56 AM
10% seems to be the normal discount. I usually just make an offer after taking the 10%. Doesn't work all the time, but they will often counter.
Bill

Jim Koepke
06-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I almost always try and ask for a discount.

If you are dealing with a shop owner you can usually haggle more than a large chain store. Often though businesses have senior discounts.

One antique mall we visit in town has a discount card that lists the different vendors IDs and what can be subtracted from their items.

Another method is to pick up $60 worth of merchandise, take it to the clerk, have them add it up and then realize, "oh, I only have $53.43." Let me think of what items I don't want. If you do this right, they will take all you have.

jtk