PDA

View Full Version : I have a Unifeeder but need stuff for it

Mark Burnette
06-18-2012, 9:57 PM
I've decided to build my own kitchen cabinets as an excuse to buy nicer tools :) A larger shaper tops the list and I've found a Delta 34-150 Unifeeder for it but I'm having no luck at all in finding the 43-150 shaper fence/column base accessory.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This feeder is a bit of an odd duck but there are 3 things I like about it:
Mounts right on the fence rather than on a long swingarm. (I do realize that can be a disadvantage)
110V motor
Made in USA (25 years ago when that was a lot more common...)

Rod Sheridan
06-19-2012, 9:17 AM
Hi Mark, with a shaper the feeder often has to be swung onto the side so that the wheels are against the fence.

Can the Unifeeder be swung on the side?

Thanks, Rod.

Jeff Duncan
06-19-2012, 9:34 AM
Did you buy the Unifeeder already? If not I'm not sure I'd recommend it as they're not very popular and may be difficult to source parts for?

If you did already buy it you may want to try a WTB posting over at OWWM for the missing parts and see if you have any luck.

I personally am not familiar with the Unifeeder. I've seen a lot of feeders, just not that particular one. The idea of it mounting to the shaper fence sounds a bit strange:confused: As Rod already mentioned there are many reasons NOT to have a feeder mounted to a fence. Possibly why you don'd see many Unifeeders around?

good luck,
JeffD

Mark Burnette
06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Concerns are understood. I paid $200 for it and it's in EC except for one split tire. Because it's so compact & light I think it could even be used on my router table. I've sent Delta an email to see if anything is available for it. The model number or any parts do not show up on their online parts finder. Hopefully they haven't abandoned it--one thing I've always admired about Delta/Rockwell is being able to find parts for decades. I hope that kind of support isn't a thing of the past under the B&D administration :(

I've never even considered using a feeder on a table saw but this thing has got me thinking how easy it would be to feed whole sheets of ply through the Unisaw alone. In this application I think having it mounted to the fence would be a plus.

Ed Labadie
06-19-2012, 1:40 PM
Delta closed out its old parts inventory several years before they were bought out......best I can recall 2004-2005.

Your best bet is placing a wtb over at owwm.

Ed

Mark Burnette
06-20-2012, 3:01 PM
Looks like I bought a $200 anchor :(

I'm disappointed to find out old Delta & Rockwell machines are no longer supported. I've always tried to buy new or older US-made machines rather than imports because you could often get replacement parts for decades. Apparently the notion of customer support is old fashioned. I'm in the market for a cabinet style shaper and since Delta at the moment is not selling shapers, they do not have accessories for them. It just doesn't make sense to buy a used Delta & then have trouble finding spindles, etc when I can buy a new Grizzly for less money.

Van Huskey
06-20-2012, 3:56 PM
There are lots of parts for the Delta machines that were more popular like their shapers, you just have to look. I wouldn't think twice about getting a Delta HD shaper for example. It is true that Powermatic is the best supported of the US built light duty machines both by them (WMH) and in the aftermarket.

Myk Rian
06-20-2012, 4:18 PM
Looks like I bought a $200 anchor :(

I'm disappointed to find out old Delta & Rockwell machines are no longer supported. I've always tried to buy new or older US-made machines rather than imports because you could often get replacement parts for decades. Apparently the notion of customer support is old fashioned. I'm in the market for a cabinet style shaper and since Delta at the moment is not selling shapers, they do not have accessories for them. It just doesn't make sense to buy a used Delta & then have trouble finding spindles, etc when I can buy a new Grizzly for less money.
Why are you giving up so easily?
As has been mentioned 2-3 times, try OWWM.org BOYD. You would be surprised what you can find there.

Mark Burnette
06-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Haven't given up yet--just venting about the so-called customer service these days.