PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Vessel 24:12

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-18-2012, 8:35 PM
Hickory Vessel 5 1/2" dia. 10 3/4" tall. Hollowed to approximately 1/8" thick.
Finished with 3 different artist acrylic paints then top coated with gloss varnish. Critiques & comments welcome.

Eric Gourieux
06-18-2012, 8:40 PM
Joe,
That's some beautiful hickory and a great form. Color is great - it's all great. What's 24:12?

John Kent
06-18-2012, 8:50 PM
That is just a beautiful piece of wood, great form, I like this alot.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-18-2012, 8:52 PM
Joe,
That's some beautiful hickory and a great form. Color is great - it's all great. What's 24:12?

Thanks Eric. I rarely name any of my pieces so I have a numbering system I use to identify my pieces. This one is 24:12

Jim Burr
06-18-2012, 8:58 PM
This goes on the "To be seen" shelf Eric! Finish is great and a cool Egyptian vase form. Big high 5!!

Kathy Marshall
06-18-2012, 9:16 PM
Beautiful piece Eric! Awesome piece of wood, form and color look great and I like the soft sheen that it appears to have!

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-18-2012, 9:32 PM
Beautiful piece Eric! Awesome piece of wood, form and color look great and I like the soft sheen that it appears to have!

Thanks Kathy, good eye on the finish. I actually used a high gloss top coat, but I airbrushed a light layer of Fine Pearl under it. This gave the piece a softer look, yet glossy look when under a bright light.

charlie knighton
06-18-2012, 9:43 PM
very nice Joe, i just do not understand how you paint with acrylic paints and still have the grain show, unless the grain is painted??????????

Roger Chandler
06-18-2012, 9:49 PM
That form is one of my favorite shapes. Nice work.........the wood is nice also and shows well!

John Keeton
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Joe, it would be worth the trip to watch you finish some of these vases!! Very, very nice.

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Joe that is a beauty. I really like the finish. It just looks soft and love the color.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-19-2012, 4:23 PM
Thanks, for looking & taking time to comment.

Charlie Knighton, on this piece I used one opaque, & 2 transparent acrylic colors. It's just somthing you have to experiment & play with until you find a combination your happy with.

Steve Schlumpf
06-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Beautiful vase.... as always! I am usually not much of a fan of paints but this transparent stuff seems pretty cool. I like to see the grain under everything - so have played with dyes but as we both know - they are really hard to control!

Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-20-2012, 6:09 AM
Beautiful vase.... as always! I am usually not much of a fan of paints but this transparent stuff seems pretty cool. I like to see the grain under everything - so have played with dyes but as we both know - they are really hard to control!

Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Thanks Steve, I've got another smaller piece of hickory in the finishing stage now that I think you'll like. It will have a deeper richer looking color. It will look more dye like. ( providing it turns out as planned ;) ) I'll post a pic when I get it finished. Hopefully in the next week or two.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-23-2012, 9:27 PM
Joe that is a beauty. I really like the finish. It just looks soft and love the color.

Thanks Bernie. I applied a light coat of acrylic fine pearlescent over the piece before I top coated it with a High Gloss varnsh. This is what gives it the soft look you noticed.

Baxter Smith
06-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Beautiful piece Joe. I just picked up a 5' piece of 1.25" crs to build a Steve Sinner style boring bar similar to one I looked at in San Jose. Since I am assuming you used something similar, what size did you use on this one?

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-24-2012, 8:53 AM
Beautiful piece Joe. I just picked up a 5' piece of 1.25" crs to build a Steve Sinner style boring bar similar to one I looked at in San Jose. Since I am assuming you used something similar, what size did you use on this one?
Thanks Baxter. I have been working with Steve for about 4 1/2 yrs, now & I use his tools in his studio & I also have them in my shop & use them at home.

I used a 1" bar for this piece. I have hollowed up to a 33" deep vessel with his 1 1/4" bar, using a Rolly Munro cutter in it. Good luck with your bar. However you'll need more than a 5 foot long piece to build a Sinner styled bar.

Baxter Smith
06-24-2012, 2:01 PM
Thanks for the info Joe. I also picked up a 3 1/2' piece to weld along side it once I get a 5/8" hole drilled in the end. I imagine I will end up with the Munro cutter. Came close to getting one in San Jose but figured I had better see if I could get the bar built first and use the scrapers I have. Wanted something that might handle the 10-20" range so might have been fine with a little smaller bar.

Tim Rinehart
06-24-2012, 2:31 PM
Very nice work Joe!

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-24-2012, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the info Joe. I also picked up a 3 1/2' piece to weld along side it once I get a 5/8" hole drilled in the end. I imagine I will end up with the Munro cutter. Came close to getting one in San Jose but figured I had better see if I could get the bar built first and use the scrapers I have. Wanted something that might handle the 10-20" range so might have been fine with a little smaller bar.

Baxter, if you build your bar like Steve Sinner's 20" won't be any problem with a 1 1/4" bar. When you do get a Rolly check with Steve 1st. I don' think you'll finad a better price on it any where. He also makes a adapter to fit the Rolly to the bar.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-24-2012, 5:27 PM
Very nice work Joe!

Thanks Tim.

Pete Jordan
06-25-2012, 1:12 PM
Love everything about it! Especially the finish!!!

Scott Hackler
06-25-2012, 1:43 PM
Excellent piece Joe! I really like the warmth of the coloring. Very nice.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-25-2012, 4:30 PM
Joe,
I read the exchange between you and Bax about "size Large" cutting bars and a Rolly cutter. Concerning the Rolly cutter, does it work well on both side grain and end grain pieces?
About the vase, the softness of the color is stunning. I would imagine hickory without the "help" would have been quite light. If you ever choose to write about your process, I would be among those who would be appreciative.
faust

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-25-2012, 9:29 PM
Thanks again to everyone who took the time to look & comment on my work.

Faust,concerning the Rolly cutter, Rolly claims it works well on both side grain & end grain. However all my vessels are hollowed end grain, so I can't say how it does on side grain. That said I wouldn't be with out it for the work I do, I've hollowed well over 150 plus pieces with it, all end grain.

As for writing a about the process I use, well I'm not much for writing. I'm more of a talker. I will be assisting Steve Sinner in a class this fall at Marc Adams school of wood working where we will be teaching creating & embellishing deep hollow vessels.