PDA

View Full Version : Clydesdale

Eric Gourieux
06-18-2012, 8:26 PM
This is claro walnut burl with holly finial and base. I'd like to get your opinion on the form, finial, base and proportions. I've been working on my finials, and this is one version. I have my own critiques, but I'll save them for later. Any comments on the color of the finial and base? I'm considering dying them black, but the contrast with the walnut has some intrigue. The walnut is finished with WTF. Finial and base are unfinished.

Any guesses on the name Clydesdale?

4.5" wide x 8" tall with finial

The attached thumbnails were attached my mistake. Since they are here and I don't know how to remove them, here is the info on it:

NE walnut measuring 3" x 12". Finished with lacquer, buffed then Renwax

C and C welcome

ray hampton
06-18-2012, 8:34 PM
nice work that is out standing,Clydesdale are one breed of horses with very big feet, there are other breeds with big feet

Jim Burr
06-18-2012, 9:00 PM
Claro HF's are a dime a dozen, maybe a quarter? Contrast on this one is great and the finish really pops!...that NE is cool!!

Kathy Marshall
06-18-2012, 9:12 PM
Very nice on both Eric! The proportions and finish look great to me on the hf. I also like the natural holly, but I think it would also look nice with the holly dyed black. Black would make the finial and pedestal appear more delicate but I would be happy with either one. Beautiful piece of Claro too!
The NE bowl also looks great

Roger Chandler
06-18-2012, 9:47 PM
That hollow form is a particularly beautiful piece, Eric.........you did a fine form.........pedestal is really nice and the finial as well.............the curve matches the flow up the top of the form and into the spire. My personal preferences on finials is just a bit thinner on the transition from the lid up, but that does not take away from your beautiful work........just my particular tastes in form.

The natural edge does not do much for me, but that again is just my particular taste..........both turnings obviously show your skills ...............superb!

charlie knighton
06-18-2012, 9:49 PM
both are very nice, but really like your open bowl with the large ne rim

John Beaver
06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Clydesdale's have white legs and dark bodies, just like your pedestal.

I would not dye the holly black, but I like contrast.

Overall I think this is a nice piece, but a few subtle changes would make it even better.

Since you are very close, and asking for critique, I think the convex curve of the bottom half is fighting the concave curve of the top half. If each one were a little more subtle I think it would work better. I would also try to have the curve of the finial and base continue the curve of the HF as close as possible, especially on the base. If the HF curve were a little smoother it would make the transition to the base easier.

I think the natural edge piece is wonderful.

Eric Gourieux
06-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the critiques and suggestions. It is really nice to get the perspective of fresh eyes. Sometime I spend so much time finishing a piece that I can no longer see the big picture. Your suggestions will be considered on the next piece.

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Both are beautiful pieces Eric. I do like that HF but the NE open bowl is awesome.

Fred Belknap
06-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Eric when I look at a turning I try to let my mind come up with a word to describe it . Elegant was what I thought. I am a fan of hollow forms so I'm happy with your miss que
I'm not to much of a fan of pedestals and I think this hf would look very nice without it. Both pieces are very nice.:)

Eric Gourieux
06-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Fred,
Thanks. I'm planning on another NIP HF with a finial only. It's in the finishing stage. I'll post when it is finished

Sid Matheny
06-19-2012, 2:37 PM
Looks great as is and don't think the dye job could make it any better. I vote to leave it alone.

Sid