PDA

View Full Version : Humidor Questions

Glen Blanchard
04-04-2005, 9:28 PM
I am thinking of making a Humidor for an old college buddy, and have done a bit of on-line research on the subject. I know that Spanish Cedar is the wood of choice for the lining, but what about the box itself? Can I make the box out of most any hardwood as long as I have a Spanish Cedar lining or should the box itself be made of Spanish Cedar? Additionally, due to the high humidity, good old yellow glue is not the glue of choice, but would Tightbond's waterproof yellow glue (Tightbond II I think) suffice? Would like to avoid a polyurethane as they expand so signicantly.

TIA.

Andy Haney
04-04-2005, 9:47 PM
I haven't read these articles, so I don't know if they'll answer your questions. I saved the links when I found them, considering that I might build one for my son some day. Hope you find these helpful.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00069.asp

http://cigar-store.port5.com/build-own-humidor-plans.shtml

Andy Haney
Ottawa, Kansas

Keith Christopher
04-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Glen,

Having built a few, you can do either. building from Spanish cedar is the easiest way. Veneer the outside with an attractive veneer then balance with a spanish cedar veneer on the inside. The key to these is forming a tight seal when closed. After veneering the inside I often take 1/4" material and line the top and bottom. Do not apply a complete coat of glue when attaching these, just enough to hold it in place. The material should rise 1/4 to 3/8" of an inch above the bottom of the humidor.This will "mate" to a lining in the top of the humidor and if you have it right a little suction can be felt when opening the box.

Keith

Ken Salisbury
04-05-2005, 7:29 AM
I have made 3 of them - all black walnut lined with spanish cedar.

John Hart
04-05-2005, 7:30 AM
Glen...thanks for starting this thread. I've been asked by several people to build one and this just may spur me on.

Andy...That first link looks really good. He gives good insights and reasoning behind why he applies certain techniques.

Keith...You owe pictures!

Ken...Do you have more?...That one is great!...I also have a question...Did you build a six sided box and slice it in half?

Have a good day

Bob Reda
04-05-2005, 10:37 AM
On the dozen I have made, I made a 6 sided box and sliced off the lid. Also keep in mind that you will need to put a coat or two of shellac between the spanish cedar and the outside box. It has something to do with oils in the spanish cedar and how it reacts when up against other types of wood.

Glen Blanchard
04-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Also keep in mind that you will need to put a coat or two of shellac between the spanish cedar and the outside box. It has something to do with oils in the spanish cedar and how it reacts when up against other types of wood.

Does it have to be shellac? I'd lke to use Waterlox (a form of Tung oil I believe).

Keith Christopher
04-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Glen...thanks for starting this thread. I've been asked by several people to build one and this just may spur me on.

Keith...You owe pictures!

Have a good day

John,

I wish I could, however I made these long before I had a digital camera and was a member here. I am on the hook to make another one, I will be sure and get pictures of that one and post here.

Keith

Glen Blanchard
04-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I haven't read these articles, so I don't know if they'll answer your questions. I saved the links when I found them, considering that I might build one for my son some day. Hope you find these helpful.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00069.asp

http://cigar-store.port5.com/build-own-humidor-plans.shtml

Andy Haney
Ottawa, Kansas

Thanks Andy for the great links. I had already visited a couple of these, but picked up more helpful information from the others. Thanks again.

Charlie Plesums
04-05-2005, 11:14 AM
...Also keep in mind that you will need to put a coat or two of shellac between the spanish cedar and the outside box. It has something to do with oils in the spanish cedar and how it reacts when up against other types of wood.

I know that the "aroma" in regular cedar is a chemical similar to paint remover, so it can interfere with other finishes - shellac is the best material to isolate it. Spanish Cedar is not biologically a cedar, although it does have a faint cedar smell. This is the first I have heard of the need to isolate spanish cedar with shellac. I did not do that in the humidor I built, and it has been in use over a year without problems.

One suggestion I found in building it was to leave the cedar unattached - slide the mitered sides into place, which holds the bottom, etc. This makes the humidity and expansion/contraction a non-issue. The only place I had to use glue to attach the spanish cedar was in the lid.

John Hart
04-05-2005, 11:23 AM
That's interesting Charlie. So what amount of play do you allow for the floating cedar pieces to have? And, when there is a gap to allow for expansion and contraction, doesn't it appear as bad craftsmanship in the corners where the gap would be visable...or do cigar aficionados know that the gap should be there?

Thanks

Charlie Plesums
04-05-2005, 11:39 AM
I did not allow any play in the Spanish cedar sides - just a snug slide-in fit, and everything seems to be fine. Be sure you can feel the suction as you open the lid - the seal has to be that tight.

Another "feature" was strong magnets embedded in the lid behind the spanish cedar, so that the humidifier and hygrometer could be placed in the lid and would stay in place without any visible support - worked out really "neat." I found I had to router part way through the cedar so that the magnet was close to the surface of the cedar.

There are also small drawers outside of the conditioned space on the bottom to hold lighters and trimmers. I have a page on my web site with pictures and details (sorry we aren't allowed to post a link, but you can get there through my profile, then look for accessories and go from there).

Keith Christopher
04-05-2005, 1:30 PM
One suggestion I found in building it was to leave the cedar unattached - slide the mitered sides into place, which holds the bottom, etc. This makes the humidity and expansion/contraction a non-issue. The only place I had to use glue to attach the spanish cedar was in the lid.

Charlie,

I agree with this, I typically put one spot of glue there just to keep things lined up and make expansion in this sealed humid enviroment possible. I've also seen small finger joints used without glue to accomplish the same thing.

Keith

Bob Reda
04-05-2005, 2:11 PM
It's all coming back to me now:) The shellac between the spanish cedar and the outer box was due to sap issues which where somewhat common and probably still is is spanish cedar.( depending on which kind you get) Another interesting theory on spanish cedar is that Cuban cigars wher(are) the rage in cigar smokers worlds. So a lot of cigars where being shipped from cuba (when it was allowed, a long, long time ago) and they box them with wood that was plentiful and cheap to them, which was spanish cedar, and thats how spanish cedar came to be used in humidors:)

John Hart
04-05-2005, 2:23 PM
So Bob.. Are you suggesting that the superior humidity controlling characteristics of Spanish Cedar are nothing more than the reasoning taught to us even though that wood choice is simply handed-down tradition?

That would be so cool!

Bob Reda
04-05-2005, 2:46 PM
Sometimes Facts are stranger than Fiction:D

Keith Christopher
04-05-2005, 4:00 PM
http://www.humidor-guide.com/humidor-spanish-cedar-1-1.php3
http://www.tropilab.com/cedrela.html

some info. as you can see it's a member of the mahogany family, this is why you often also see mahogany humidors, not only the nice smell but it also has a tendancy to keep moisture levels within containment. 62-68% humidity is a good choice for a humidor. Being a cigar smoker from time to time, you can tell the diff between cigars kept both above and below this mark.

Keith

John Hart
04-05-2005, 4:07 PM
Hmmm...so there probably are physical characteristics that are legit, despite the traditions. Well that's good, because I happen to have a pile of spanish cedar at home. Now, since I spent the whole day thinking about humidors instead of doing my job, I suppose I should go home now and design something...and make some bells...and clean the shop...etc etc.

Ken Salisbury
04-06-2005, 8:56 AM
Did you build a six sided box and slice it in half?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Keith Christopher
04-06-2005, 9:00 AM
I think John is referring to making a solid closed box and then slicing a lid off on the bandsaw. Very common among humidor builders.

Keith

John Hart
04-06-2005, 9:35 AM
Yup...I'm sorry. I guess that was kind of a cryptic question. Ken, the reason I was asking is because your box is built up with routed detail. I was wondering if you built a six sided skeletal box, then sliced the lid off with the bandsaw and then added all the external features afterward.

I'm currently designing one and that's the method I was thinking about.

Ken Salisbury
04-06-2005, 9:43 AM
Yup...I'm sorry. I guess that was kind of a cryptic question. Ken, the reason I was asking is because your box is built up with routed detail. I was wondering if you built a six sided skeletal box, then sliced the lid off with the bandsaw and then added all the external features afterward.

I'm currently designing one and that's the method I was thinking about.

That is certainly one way to do it. Senility keeps me from remembering how I made this one. :) .

John Hart
04-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Senility keeps me from remembering how I made this one. :) .

So.....Every project is a new idea and every day a brand new day!